King of Beasts

I have the whole summer to work on this fic. I'm making it my resolution to finish rewriting everything I've done up to the beginning of Pomefiore.

Also a warning: I changed a lot of dialogue and sequence of events from the game to make some sense. If I happen to find a fanfic that used my words/followed a very similar formula in their fic...

Don't take my book as a source to copy for your writing if you wanted to follow canon (which I'm not for this arc). Anyone who knows the game would spot this. I had to contact a couple of writers who did this because of how suspicious it was. Please don't be that person. Thank you.

...

My pink muzzle and white whiskers twitched as my nostrils breathed in the scent of dirt. However, with the heightened sense of smell in an animal's body, I inwardly sniffed too much and choked instead. It's getting suffocating to breathe in this dream.

Lounging in the lion den was Scar who has assumed kingship of the Pride Lands. Zazu the red hornbill was imprisoned in a skeleton rib cage.

"Oh, stop it, Zazu. You're bringing the mood down." Scar told the bird languidly, examining his black claws idly.

Zazu slumped against his prison walls. "Hah... Mufasa would never allow-"

Scar seethes at the mention of his deceased brother, roaring, "What! What did you say! I am the king!"

Banzai enters along with the other two of the hyena trio. "Hey, Boss, we got a bone to pick with you."

"There's no food, no water! And we're starving!" Shenzi complained.

Scar sits upright nonchalantly. "I don't care. Eat Zazu."

"Things were better under Mufasa." Banzai grumbled.

Scar scowled. "Hmph, is that so. You're an eyesore! Get lost!"

The hyenas leave, Ed giggling and making incomprehensible sounds like the odd hyena of the group he was.

The sequence fades.

If he's going to get mad about getting compared, he should do his job better. Being a king is not all about luxury, after all.

When I open my eyes, I find myself laid on a flat stone inside the vacant lion's den. I shuddered from the chilly sensation beneath my paw pads. Even with my white and black striped hide, it's cold in here.

I stand up to leave the den.

Realizing what was beyond the exit, I ran on my four legs to the outside world until I stopped before the peak of Pride Rock. From there, I have the perfect view of the Pride Lands itself. Unfortunately, the scenery is not delightful in the slightest.

Vegetation had died, the skies are perpetually murky of clouds that will never part open for the once beautiful blue sky, and wildlife is severely scarce. The circle of life was ruined by the corrupt king's seat on the throne.

My ears flicked to the sound of another presence. I swerve to behold a prowling lion cloaked in black. Could that be Scar?

The black silhouette bearing a resemblance to Scar creeps towards me. I was being pushed back inside the den.

I step back until I made a mad dash for the path beyond the den leading to the top of Pride Rock. As long as I can get away from him and delay as much time, it didn't matter where I go.

It was a game of cat and mouse for the faceless Scar. He was deliberately slowing down to fill me with a sense of hope, only so he could watch it crumble to no recovery at the very end. I could almost hear villainous laughter ringing in my ears as I climbed in a spiral.