Paint the Roses

I found myself standing in a labyrinth. Everything is in black and white, though the edges are hazy to make out the full picture.

"Hurry and paint the roses red. Hurry before the flowers wither." The card soldiers say as they crudely paint white roses red with a bucket of the same color in hand. Red comes to life in the otherwise monochromatic world.

A dream...?

"Hurry, hurry! We have to paint them all red!" The Ace of Clovers said.

My hands start moving on their own. I held my breath. Since when did I have a brush and bucket?

I could only helplessly watch as my hand dips the brush with paint and dye a white rose in red. My mind is still intact yet my body won't listen. Maybe this is because it's a dream...

As I tried to wrestle the strings pulling me along, a petite little girl adorned with a bow atop her head wearing a dress and pinafore arrives. It's the iconic Alice Liddell from Alice in Wonderland.

"Why do you have to paint the white roses red?" Alice asked inquisitively like the child she was.

"Why you ask? The truth is, we made a mistake and grew a white one." The Two of Clovers admitted.

"The queen loves red. If she sees white she'll have our heads!" The Ace of Clovers exclaimed.

Alice walks over to a tall bush of roses, some coated red. "Really?"

"That's right. Therefore we're painting the roses." The Three of Clovers told the ever curious child.

What is going on? Why am I forced to paint? Why am I seeing this dream?

From the corner of my eye, I detect something bright and colorful bounce into view. A rabbit? It's not the White Rabbit, though...

I watch as it skipped with a brush and bucket in its long ears akin to another set of hands

I watch as it skipped with a brush and bucket in its long ears akin to another set of hands. The cute yellow and green critter joins the painting fest from a rose bush across me.

A familiar giggling sound resounding like a wind chime echoes in my ears.

Could that be...?!

Before I could make the conclusion, the dream sequence fades to black, and so does my consciousness.

~~~~~~~
Paint the Roses
~~~~~~~

I blearily open my eyes to find myself hunched over the desk.

I sit up and rubbed my sore neck and back. In front of me is a simple ruled leather black journal and fountain pen with working ink. I dug both of them out while cleaning this bedroom and figured I should make use of it by recording my time in Twisted Wonderland. I must've taken a nap while I did.