Hyena Chase

Not gonna lie, I got major writer's block not only for this chapter rewrite but for Savanaclaw in general.

...

Animals are marching in an eerily lit gorge that is their territory.

Sitting from a cliff overseeing a herd of hyenas is the sole lion, Scar. A plotting scheme branded his smirk in the glow of the gorge. "The earth will rumble and a new era will begin."

"And what about us hyenas?" Shenzi, one of the hyena trio, asked.

"Listen to me first. We will kill Simba together with his father. And then I will be the king!" Declared Scar.

"Great idea! All hail the king!" Banzai cheered.

"Long live the king!" The hyenas sang.

"Yes, my teeth and ambitions are bared. Be prepared!"

The earth beneath me trembles. It was then I realized I was standing on a stone slab atop of a geyser. In my small white tiger form, I could only crouch and cling myself to the slab as I was suddenly shot up to the cliff where Scar once sat.

I leap off for stable land. After landing on all fours, I look over my shoulder to see the geyser had died down. Now there is a pitch black den lit by torches on either side of the entrance in front of me.

My ears fold on my head. Perhaps it is because I am in a small body that fear has a constant grip on my body. Do I dare to venture inside the unknown?

Despite my silent pleas, no one came. I reluctantly enter with my tail between my legs. There was nowhere to go but move forward, even in a dream.

I traversed through the dark stone tunnel. I would occasionally hear faint howls in the distance, thought I had hoped it was merely my imagination within a fantasy.

Past the tunnel from the gorge is an elephant graveyard.

Upon emerging, I sensed several pairs of eyes bored into me and turn to a pack of spotted hyenas perched atop the entrance. They move on the prowl for their prey.

I step back as they stalked closer. I can't be dreaming something so horrific as being eaten alive by hyenas, right?

My white and black fur stood as I hissed at them.  The hyenas paused as though amused, but continued as they knew there was strength in numbers over a little cub.

I cursed under my breath before making a mad dash out of the graveyard.

In this dream, the graveyard is a maze of elephant remains and skeletons. I ran and ran while turning around several corners and random forks in the road.

I wound up stumbling into a door akin to the skeleton of a rib cage whose gaps are too narrow for even me to slip through. A dead end.

Or so I thought. It has a bulky, rusted gold lock in the middle. Another door that needs a key?

I desperately clawed at the barred door and gazed into the black abyss, making pitiful scratchy noises with my claws lacking its edge. The door did not budge. From behind, maniacal, gleeful laughter echoes. The rocks in my environment suddenly close in on me.

My breath hitched. I swerved to bear witness to three hyenas creeping to my cowering form. They pounce.

I crouch and squeezed my eyes shut. I had braced myself for jagged teeth to tear through my flesh when a lion's roar reverberated throughout the elephant graveyard.