Problem Children

"I'm sorry."

His words echoed in my mind and reached dully to my heart. My body was rendered still as though under a petrifying spell. My eyes were dilated as wide as the full blue moon shining its azure moonlight upon the garden of deep blue roses in full bloom.

Yet in this midnight scenery, a tall young man of crimson red tousled hair was the single juxtaposing existence. He had his broad back facing me, shunning me.

I couldn't bear this reaction. He was looking towards the light whereas I was cloaked in darkness, the place where I was meant to remain in.

'Why wasn't he looking at me?' The question repeated in my possessed self that knew nothing but the familiarity of isolation.

In the end, he too turned the other cheek from my presence. Like everyone else, they look to the light. They leave me alone, fearing the dark world I was said to be born in and scorning my ugliness.

Don't abandon me, I wanted to cry out. Why must I always be tossed to the side in favor for someone more radiant than I? Am I truly not meaningful to be shown humanity? Am I a thorn to your bleeding side? Am I the stain to the white canvas you paint your future on?

What am I to you? What am I to this world that loathes me for a sin I never committed?

My thoughts were loud in my ears despite the silent night. They don't come filter through my lips. I always kept my hidden fears and thoughts from manifesting. Though I ask myself these questions, I always feared how others will see me differently if I reveal my vulnerabilities. I protect myself and others that way, for I dread the monster that will crawl out of the can of filthy worms squirming inside waiting to be released by me.

A cold breeze whistled past the gardens, scattering sapphire blue petals in its wake.

As I remained standing paralyzed in place, a single bead of sweat runs cold on my temple.

A black anonymous shadow stood menacingly in place of the redhead male. I recognized it all too well. The nightmare that haunts me wherever I go, whether in the real world or in my dreams.

A distorted voice between man and woman whispered through hollow lips baring white teeth.

"I will never remain a memory."

~~~~~~~
Problem Children
~~~~~~~

"Oi, wake up!"

I jolted awake from the voice. Whose squeaky voice that sounds like your typical animal mascot companion yelled at my ear...?

My expression fell when I recognized the source right after. "Oh, it's you."

"Hey, what's that weak reaction? You should be revering me as my henchman!" Grim huffed at me haughtily, fiery ears lowered flat.

Looking behind, I found myself resting my back against the podium of the Queen of Hearts' statue, front profile charred black with soot.

A dream...? No. That was indeed something that happened very recently. My lack of sleep must've hit me while I was trying to rub the spot off.