An Angry Xyon

"I'm sorry. What was that?" Egris snarled.

"F-fuck you." Lola wheezed, desperate to feel the cool asphalt underneath her cheek.

But Egris kept Lola locked in between his firm grasp. No one had ever sworn to him like that - no one dared. Apart from this small, sweating human girl.

"You do not speak to a Xyon like that!"

"Oh, I don't care," Lola spat, "Can you just drop me now?"

She swore she could hear a deep, raw rumble brew in his chest and his teeth bared. Lola felt the floor disappear under her feet and the world flipped before her nose bashed into his back. Egris had flung her over his shoulder and began to walk to the row of seats.

"Let me go! Egris, come on!" Lola squealed while flailing her weakened limbs.

"No." He grunted before repositioning her so it was comfortable on his shoulder.

No one spared a look in their direction. The other Xyon men had never had a girl before so to them, this must be normal and the girls had all their attention on tearing up the track.

Lola, completely giving up, went limp in his arms and closed her eyes. She wished the dull ache in her muscles would subside and a cool breeze would stop the sweating on her back. Never had she ran that far on a track before and she swore to never do it again. Egris felt cool to the touch and Lola sank further into his blue skin, trying desperately to lower her own thermal blaze. 

When her back hit the solid plastic chairs, she was suddenly jolted out of her daydream and peeled her eyelids apart. Egris' fuming visage was inches from her own and the pools of indigo for pupils had dilated. He was angry. No, beyond that. He was so enraged - smoke should be billowing out of his ears. 

Once again, his human mate had become an embarrassment. He had been told that they were more fragile creatures than Xyons but he never expected one to be so.....weak. The other females, although at a slow pace, we're still able to follow the track.

When he signed up for this program, he had asked for a strong mate. Someone who would withstand whatever challenge could be thrown at them, someone who wasn't Lola. There was still time for her to prove herself and he hoped she would.
Egris was a warrior - he needed a female to reflect that.

"You have 5 minutes, then I need you back on your feet. Clear?"

Lola's head polled to the side and he took that as a nod.

"Right," Egris murmured before turning towards the rest of the limping females, "That'll be enough! My group come here!"

The sweating and heaving storm of tired runners limped over to Egris with their ponytails slipping and a wet mark growing on the backs of their t-shirts. If they thought that was bad, it was merely the beginning. 

"Next we will be testing weights. In the centre of the track is 5 weight lifting stations, take one and start with the easiest weight before working your way up. Clear?"

A string of incoherent mumbles rose from the group and Egris swatted them away. As a trainer, he was used to pushing warriors to the limits.  A feeble Xyon is as worthless as the dirt on his shoes - that was the rule. He had not risen among the ranks for slacking, he had not bore a scar for the fleeing hesitant and he had certainly not accommodated a human for it to be fainting. 

It just wouldn't do.

The weights had been set up for human use, much to the disappointment of the Xyon's who train early in the morning. His human should manage this, well, he hoped she could. 

He left her slumped against the seat and joined his group of trainer friends by the weights. A burst of raucous laughter erupted from the burly throats of his colleagues and the force of their shoves would be enough to send a human flying. But the push on his back didn't move Egris an inch.

"How is your group?" Zuke asked in between chuckles.

"Good. They've finished track, anyway."

"Is that girl yours?" Interjected Tyle, pointing towards the distant figure of Lola.

Egris nodded and another pearl of mirth gurgled in his friend's throats.

"She barely did 3 laps. How are you training them?" Tyle jested, causing more giggles.

"I am training them well." he retorted, unused to the backlash.

"Well, you better try harder. You're already failing with that one." Zuke gestured towards his female.

Egris was not used to harsh criticism. No one judged his work or the manner of his teachings, let alone a direct hit on one of the trainees. He hated to admit it, but it hurt his pride and reputation. Sure, Lola may be slow and unused to physical labour, but she was still under his wing. Only one person could criticise her athleticism and that was the Trainer. Egris. Not Luke or Tyle. They could say nothing.

"You should stay out of my business. It's not your place to comment, learn that. Yes?" he snarled and shot the men a look of utter hatred and disgust. That should teach them.

And it did.

Their mouths shut instantly and they simultaneously turned their devoted attention towards the weights. Egris couldn't help but look in Lola's direction. At the moment, she wasn't his mate or female, she was a trainee who needed help and he hoped to give her that.

He wanted someone strong, Lola just needed some time.

That's what he told himself anyway.

Her eyes shifted from the asphalt to his own and they linked for a few moments, painfully long moments, then Lola looked away. 

Please comment so I know how this story is going XD