Bun in the oven

2 weeks later.....

Lola's palms grew clammy and tightly knitted as the seconds ticked by. It was their first mandatory gynaecologist appointment as it was the last week of the two months. If she wasn't pregnant, insemination would be the answer.

And no one wanted that.

Egris sat in the white metal chair in the corner and stared at the clock. The doctor was supposed to come five minutes ago but so far there had been no sign of him. The couple had explosive butterflies in their stomach and the possibility of not being pregnant constantly loomed over them. 

Where was he?

As soon as they woke up, the two of them hadn't uttered a word. Everything was resting on the answer at the end of the appointment. That, and that alone, would determine how successful the programme had been. 

In the room next to them, Julie and Sestru were gushing over their microscopic embryo growing. They wouldn't have to worry about the future. The baby was theirs and they had succeeded.

Had Lola and Egris?

She quickly glanced at Egris with wary eyes. He had his neck craned down and was typing furiously on his watch - no doubt to complain. 

But the door clicking open saved him the effort.

An elderly Xyon with silver hair and crows feet by his eyes stepped in the room. He wore a soft smile and tugged his notepad dearly. 

"I'm awfully sorry about the delay. It's been rather busy today, you see."

He looked between the couple and sat down on the chair by the desk.

"No problem," Lola added quietly and sat on her hands to stop fidgeting, "We haven't been waiting too long."

"Good, I'm going to do a quick test today. All I need is a small urine sample like on Earth and from that, I can work out if you're pregnant and at what stage." He continued like he had said it many times before. Which is probably true. 

"Yeah, that's fine."

He rummaged in the drawer and pulled out a small glass beaker and handed it to Lola.

"The bathroom is just through there."

She nodded and smiled tightly before disappearing behind the white sheet.

"Ths test is accurate, yes?" Egris suddenly piped up once she was out of earshot.

"Of course. It's the best we've ever had." He reassured.

"If there is a chance she's not pregnant, can't we have more time? She doesn't want an insemination."

"In some cases... there are extended periods of time." He added slowly, careful not to upset Egris.

The warrior nodded sharply and went back to his watch. Whenever something was uncertain or tense, his cold wall was put up. All expression was drained, his eyes sharp and his lips formed a straight line. Now was one of those times.

A few minutes later, Lola emerged with the beaker and placed it carefully on the doctor's desk. He nodded and stood up, ready to leave the room so he could test the sample.

"Don't worry." He said quietly to Lola and she let out a long breath. 

The doctor left and the two looked at each other.

"How are you feeling?" he asked with furrowed brows.

"Not good. Tense." She laughed anxiously and sat down on the examination bed.

"It'll be fine." he whispered and cracked his knuckles. 

xxx

"Your results!" The doctor announced as he entered the room again. 

The beaker had been replaced with a piece of paper holding the answers to their future. Lola and Egris shot up and waited tensely.

This was it.

"Well?" Egris barked and the elderly doctor jumped.

He cleared his throat and straightened out the paper, "It's good news. Really good news."

Lola squealed and stepped closer, every nerve standing on edge - desperate for the rest.

"You are pregnant. I would say, well, about 2 weeks? Congratulations!" He chirped and handed Egris the paper.

For a moment, he was speechless.

"Could we have a moment alone?" Lola asked politely and gently rubbed Esgris' forearm.

"Of course." The doctor replied and left them in stunned silence.

"My god." She marvelled and launched herself into his chest.

He surrounded her body with warm, muscular arms. It would take many days for the news to sink in - Egris would be a father. A father.

She leant up and placed a soft kiss on his gaping mouth and traced the tattoo poking from his collar. His hand drifted to her lower back and skimmed the band of the leggings. 

"This, th-, " He spluttered and dropped his  head towards Lola's neck, "I don't know what to say."

Her form started to rack with tears of joy, causing Egris to hold her even closer. 

That was all the confirmation needed. 

Sorry this chapter is short but I didn't know what else to type. if I made any mistakes, please feel free to point them out :)