CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT

Alex was sitting on the chair in Joe's living room with a cup of eggnog in her hand

Alex was sitting on the chair in Joe's living room with a cup of eggnog in her hand. The thoughts of what she had seen in her future time-skip filled her head. She tried to heed Jay's words and not be worried because it wasn't set in stone, but it was hard to do so. The possibility that in five months from now she was going to die terrified her.

Although the prediction was tragic, she would rather death than to turn against all of her friends. She didn't want a future of hate and misery. She wanted one of love, even if it was a short one. The idea of causing pain to others, in her wake of destruction, it brought more fear than death. That in itself showed how true of heart she was.

Mirage proved everything who she was and who she was meant to be. Alex got her powers for a reason, to prove to herself that there was good in her heart after years of trying to deny that there was. She was the only person that could save herself and she had done it. Her life had changed completely since the day she first met Barry.

"Hey," Barry noticed her quiet presence. It wasn't rare to see her lost in thought and in her own world but after the success that they had that day he figured that she would be a little more chatty. When Jay had realized that she had disappeared, he had promised Barry that he would be the one to find her.

Upon their return, she assured him that everything was alright and that she had briefly been lost in the Speedforce. The lie was believable enough for him to accept and he wasn't worried about whether or not it was the truth. Alex never withheld the truth from him about anything and he didn't think she would now.

However, it was Jay that made her promise to keep quiet about what she had seen and she knew that he was right. If Barry found out about what she saw he would do everything in his power to change what was going to happen. He couldn't know, not when it might not even be the truth.

Alex stood up in the chair and allowed Barry to sit before returning to his lap. She was wearing a red and gold skin tight dress for the occasion. If she didn't seem so off, then Barry would have had trouble to keep his hands off of her. Instead, he was more worried about what was going on inside her head.

"Are you okay?" Barry asked, kissing her cheek. "You seem quiet."

"No, I'm fine," She said, very unconvincingly. Alex set her mug of eggnog down and wrapped her arms around him. He had a little bit too close of an eye on her for it to be easy to lie to him about something so big. She was going to have to figure something out. "I am, I promise. Guess I'm still just thinking about Savitar's prophecy."

"I have faith in you that you'll do the right thing, my love," Barry squeezed her thigh where his hand rested. Their attention was turned to Joe and Cecile, who had finally made the move to kiss. Alex tried to smile, she was glad that Joe was finally finding something that he too could be happy with.

Cecile gestured to her phone and left the room. Joe hurried over to a present under the Christmas tree and set it down in front of Wally. Alex excitedly sat on the couch arm next to Wally as he was going to open it. "Now that Cecile is away, this is from all of us, to you. Merry Christmas, son," Joe told him.