Chapter 29

Skylar's POV

I keep a safe distance away from him as I follow him through the foyer and up the stairs towards his bedroom. As much pain as he is in, he gets around pretty fast.

Eventually we reach the infamous double doors which he pushes right through awhile cursing to himself not very quietly. I hear the lock click on the door, so I come closer and take a seat beside the doors and listen to everything going on inside.

"Son of a bitch," he groans, not in pain, but just impatiently enough it has me worried.

Alright, time to see what's happening.

I get up from the floor and take a hesitant step in front of the doors with my fist clenched high to the large wood framing. At first, I almost back away, but then I knock three times without even thinking it through first.

"Who the fuck is out there!?" He yells loudly. When I'm about to say, 'Skylar,' the door swings open, revealing his exasperated face, but it instantly changes when he sees me.

I notice his shirt is gone and a loose bandage that once sat at the side of his stomach, is now hanging loosely at his side. "Are you alright?" I ask in a quiet voice, too scared I'll anger him more if I say the wrong thing. The last time I did that, I'm pretty sure I was literally beaten into the ground with the back of his gun.

His head pokes out of the doorway and he glances both left and right. "Come in," he says sternly and closes the doors when I do.

Thinking back to when I thought it was a good idea to come up here and help him, it was definitely a terrible idea. The first thing I see when I walk through the doors is his bed; the bed that I had my first time on, the bed I was pushed off of so many nights or crawled off of because I was too scared he'd beat me if he saw me sleeping beside him. The bed that he sleeps with Amelia on...

"Skylar."

Andrei's POV

"Skylar," I say again while I watch her stare in horror at the bed not far from where we're standing. Her eyes are so wide and filled with tears that I immediately regret everything I've done to her for the tenth time today.

Her head whips around and her soft blue eyes land on my dangling bandage. "What happened?" she asks and takes a step closer. "I thought the wound would've been healed enough by now that you wouldn't need this much of a bandage."

I seethe out a breath as I try to adjust the patch. "It would've been. The bullet was still in there, though and the doc insisted on taking it out since he thought it was a risk of infection and other crap involved."

"May I?" she gestures at it and I nod without a second thought.

I am lead carefully over to the couch in front of the fireplace where I have packets of new bandages scattered around the area. She eases me onto the chair cautiously then bends down in front of me. Her hands work quickly in retrieving the bandages on the floor and her eyes stay away from mine, probably too scared to look up.

A surprising amount of relaxation and warmness rises inside of me when her hands smooth over my skin as she places a new bandage on the wound. All the pain I once had subsides and I stare down at her while she continues to work on me.

Maybe If hadn't fucked up so badly, I would be able to see a ring on one of those fingers...

"Alright." Her soft warm hands detach from me and she steadily gets up from the ground. "The bandage I placed will have to be changed tomorrow since you aren't bleeding nearly as much. Do you know how?"