Chapter 44

Two months later...

Skylar's POV

"So you're 30 weeks today, Mrs Volkov! It won't be too long now and you'll be holding your baby in your arms."

"I can't believe I'm going to be a mom soon. I-I don't know if I'll even be a good one.."

Doctor Johnson removes the ultrasound wand from my now rather large stomach and looks down at me with that annoyed look in her eyes. "Skylar, you've been through so much in the past year, a lot for the safety of this baby. I don't doubt for one second that you'll be a 'bad mother."

I sigh and begin wiping off the gel from my stomach with a towel the doctor has given me. "I guess so, but how am I suppose to do it with Andrei?"

"That's something that'll just take time." she tries to explain further but apparently another thought catches her off-guard. "Where is he by the way? He's always at the appointments."

"I"m not sure. Working I would imagine," I lie as I stand up from the bed and head over to the door with Doctor Johnson alongside me.

At the last appointments and the ones before, Andrei had always showed up to be sure everything was going alright. We all know he want's this baby in perfect health- pretty much making me a surrogate at this point- but I for some reason find it touching when he asks how I'm doing and if I need anything. I always keep it short and say no just so I can avoid catching those damn feelings again, even though they haven't quite left yet.

When the two of us eventually part ways, I continue towards my bedroom for a nap before dinner tonight. I'll definitely need it since tonight I'm suppose to be attending a party in the compound with Andrei, despite our lack of speaking to each other.

"Is the party planned correctly for tonight?" I hear a low voice behind me question as I'm reaching for the door handle.

Turns out that when you're forced into a marriage in the Mafia it's not only for the child you may be carrying, it's also so you can plan every function hosted by your 'family' and basically make every decision a 'good woman' would for her household. Pfft, this isn't a household, it's a goddamn prison and I've been given a life sentence.

But even in this prison, I still have a chance to get away. Let's just say that one night I had gotten bored in my self-pity and decided to write up a letter addressed to Phillip and Macy. It said that I had finally escaped and found a way to trick Andrei, that he never saw it coming and I'll help get them out soon too.

The letter at the time was just an act of pure boredom, but once I had actually written it on paper and folded it up so it can fit in my pocket, it seemed all too good to just be a joke anymore. I had been here at the compound enough to see more possible escape routes; ones that the guards rarely watch over. If I carry it around and find the right time one day, I'll slip it into Philip or Macy's coat then proceed with the rest of my plan.

I release the door handle and turn on my heel to face him. "Yes, everything is in place. Don't worry about where I've seated the allies either. I made sure any possible enemies have an appropriate distance from each other so there shouldn't be a shoot out of any kind."

He steps in close to me, the sudden scent of his amazing cologne makes my knees a bit weak and all I want to do is wrap my arms around his neck and feel those luscious lips of his lips on mine.

"Are you alright?"

I quickly snap out of my trance, shaking my head frantically at the sound of his voice which also has butterflies fluttering in my stomach. "I'm fine," I dust my hands against my dress and look down at our feet, "If you'd like I can get you the seating plan if you were thinking of changing something..."