Chapter 48

Andrei's POV

"She's in here, Boss," Dimitri explains as he rolls me up to Skylar's room in the ICU.

The doctors on Skylar's team decided it was alright I see her before the surgery since there's a slim chance that either of them or both will survive the surgery. I had expected to be more upset; demanding doctors and nurses to do their jobs better, but I feel absolutely nothing. Well, until we enter the room and I see her laying there in that bed.

"Skylar," I whisper when I'm rolled up to the bed. I start crying again and all the numbness completely disappears as I get up from my wheelchair and stumble towards her. My entire body aches so much that the memory of being stabbed and sliced all comes back to me while I stare down at Skylar's beaten body.

Dimitri runs up behind me and tries to pull me back down to the wheelchair, but he fails. Even injured, I am still bigger and stronger than my own right-hand man. I'll be as stubborn as I need to so I can see her.

"Andrei, you're hurt! Sit down before it becomes worse!" he yells.

I couldn't care less that I'm being yelled at by my own men. "No, Dimitri," I say through gritted teeth. "Please leave before you do something you regret. I'll be fine, I just want to be with my wife."

He sighs. "Yes, Boss. Just don't be on your feet too long." then he leaves without another word.

Once the door shuts I lean down towards Skylar and rest my head on her shoulder, letting the tears on my face run down to her shoulder. "I'm so fucking sorry, Detka, I should've killed her a long time ago. I promised I'd protect you and that we would live a life together happily, and I broke it all in only an hour." I stand up with my hand latching onto the bed for support. "Don't worry. I will make sure that bitch is alive when I make her pay for what she did. She'll wish she never fucked with me."

I kiss her close to her lips since the ventilator is blocking the way with my hand resting slightly on her stomach. There's a flutter under my hand when I say, "Please don't leave me, we haven't even seen our house yet.."

Only now do I wish that I had never found her on that farm; she was safe there with no one but people who loved her like their own child. She could've given birth to that baby and led a safe happy life with it because I know she wouldn't want to end her life once she laid eyes on our baby. If only I had decided to ignore my feelings for her and let her be on her own.

Love is fucked up. So much so that it could end in my wife and child dying because of my past with another.

"How is she?" I hear through the doorway.

I wince at a sharp pain striking through my side before looking over. "Stable for now," I say to my sister who has a bouquet of flowers in her arms.

Slowly, she walks over to Skylar's bedside table and sets them down. "I had these delivered from France. I can remember when we were trying on dresses before the wedding she had mentioned how much she loved Lillies."

"Thank you, Nina. If she was awake she'd be crying over how beautiful these are and telling you, 'Why did you do this for me? I don't deserve flowers!'" I say and smile at the thought of her talking- just talking. God, I would be grateful if we could even argue right now.

Just as I'm forced to take a seat- Nina's orders- I see Skylar's hand flinch as I do so.

"Did you see that, Nina!?" I say with pure excitement. I nod towards Skylar but she doesn't seem to care.

She sighs as I try to convince her. "Stuff like that just happens, Andrei. Don't get your hopes up now."

All of the monitors suddenly start going off as soon as Nina puts my hopes down of Skylar still having a chance. Maybe it isn't what we think it is.