Chapter 34

A/N: Trigger warning!

Skylar's POV

Suddenly all my dreams disappear into a nothing and I can feel reality hit me like a train when I open my eyes. The putrid smell of puke comes wafting into my nose as I try to push myself up off the bathroom floor; it's so bad I almost puke, but I don't since there's absolutely nothing left in my stomach.

I stumble towards the toilet when I finally hoist myself up. Apparently I never flushed last nights episode down...

"Ughh..." I groan as I begin to feel nauseous from the bathrooms smell. Slowly, I make my way over to the sink then run the tap. I wash my hands, then splash my face with cold water twice, but any amount of energy I once had is still very much gone.

I'm starting to doubt that Andrei even gives a shit about my well-being. He saw how obviously upset I was last night and didn't even come to check on me. Some fiancée he is.

As I reach for the door handle, there's a knock at the door. "Skylar?" they call. It's a woman's voice. A voice that's awfully familiar.

"Wh-who is it?" I question with my ear pressed against the wood-framed door.

"It's Dr. Johnson. I'm sorry, I didn't see your text 'till this morning. Open up?"

I open the door carefully, just to be sure Andrei or some guard isn't with her. Just her, thankfully. I feel my balance start to go a little hay-wire as I step towards her and open my mouth to explain what is wrong. "Th..the sickness just isn't go-ing away.." I try to explain, but my voice is so airy she has to lean in to hear me.

She pulls me into her side as I nearly fall again. I notice she isn't short like every other girl I know; she's about the same height as me, maybe even taller with the way she holds herself up. Her face looks proud. Like proud-of-herself kind of proud.

Maybe I'll be like that one day..

"How frequently do you say you hydrate throughout the day?" She asks as she sets me down on the bed. She fluffs the pillow before laying me back to rest my head.

I sigh out squint up at her, tired eyes and all. "I-I can't remember.." I admit. It's truth. The only thing my stupid brain can remember right now is the fact that I'll have to marry someone I despise within the next week or so.

She nods and grabs a blue tourniquet from her doctor bag. "I'm just going to run some IV fluids, alright? You'll just have to lay here and relax for a bit."

I nod and watch as she she prepares the IV. I usually hate needles and having IV's, but I can barley even feel it this time from how dazed I am.

Once she's placed the IV, she runs vitals and then types them up on a laptop she brought with her. "Would you like me to get Andrei?" she asks before she's on her way again.

But before I even get the chance to say, "no," a rather stern knock at the door cuts me off. Jee, I wonder who it is?

"Open up, Skylar!" he orders. "It's Andrei. We need to talk."

I see Dr. Johnson roll her eyes to herself. "One moment!" she yells back at him, but it's not nearly as angry as I thought it would be from that eye roll I just witnessed. She hurries over to the the door and opens it for him.

"Wait.. Why are you here- oh God." He tries to question her, but he immediately stops when he sees me laying in the bed. "What's going on?" he suddenly starts demanding.