𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗲 | apology & a coffee

JISU SLAMMED the front door shut, her expression soured into a deep scowl. Rather than joining Chaeryeong for lunch at the university, she headed home.

"What's with the noise?" came her mother's voice, slightly muffled by the kitchen walls. Moments later, her mom appeared, wearing a puzzled look. "Oh, Jisu-yah, what brings you back so early? It's blazing outside, and here you are biking home in this heat! Just look at yourself!"

Jisu was drenched in sweat, her face flushed from the heat, and her ponytail clinging to her damp skin. Her school uniformㅡa white blouse with a maroon tie adorned with golden stripes, layered under a black sleeveless sweater vest and a maroon blazer, paired with a black tennis skirtㅡwas hardly suited for the day's sweltering temperatures.

"Hey, mom," she managed to say, a hint of surprise in her voice. "A heads-up text that you were back from work would've been nice."

Mrs. Choi moved closer to her visibly upset daughter, concern lacing her voice, "Everything alright?" as she assisted in peeling off the blazer and sweater vest.

Jisu worked at loosening her tie, trying to sound nonchalant, "I'm alright, just starving, that's all."

Mrs. Choi, however, wasn't easily fooled. She knew her daughter too well to buy the façade, sensing something was off. Yet, understanding Jisu's reluctance to delve into it, she chose not to press further. "Perfect timing then. I've cooked up something. Hopefully, it's enough for the both of us."

With that, Mrs. Choi gently steered Jisu towards the dining area, insisting she sit while she took care of everything else.

As Jisu sat there, waiting for her mom to set everything up, her thoughts drifted back to the day's earlier confrontation. She knew comparing Ryujin's icy demeanor to Yuna's warm and outgoing nature wasn't fair, yet she couldn't help herself. The guilt of these thoughts gnawed at her, especially since Ryujin had thrown her life into disarray by claiming to be her cousinㅡa cousin Jisu supposedly didn't have. The thought of Chaeryeong finding out about this mess was daunting. After all, Chaeryeong and Jisu had been inseparable since their diaper days; hiding something like Ryujin's presence from her would be nearly impossible.

What a dilemma! Ryujin might be a thorn in her side with her haughty attitude, but outing her true identity wasn't an option Jisu could consider. She knew all too well that both Ryujin and her mom preferred to keep a low profile, and blowing Ryujin's cover could spell disaster for her scholarship. Getting tangled in any scandal was the last thing she needed.

Jisu let out a scoff, her frustration towards Shin Ryujin simmering beneath the surface.

The delicious smell of her mother's cooking snapped her back to the present moment, prompting a smile to creep onto Jisu's face. "Maybe that's why I came home after all," she remarked.

Mrs. Choi chuckled, playfully ruffling Jisu's hair. "Your hair is a mess. Eat up and go change. We don't want you to be late."

Jisu's mood had definitely taken a turn for the better. She practically bounced across the campus field, her spirits lifted.

"Jisu eonni!" Before Jisu could even react, she was nearly bowled over by an enthusiastic embrace from behind.