𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 | friends?

CAUGHT OFF guard, Jisu struggled to navigate the awkward silence enveloping them. Yeji sat across from her, visibly uneasy, playing with her fingers and avoiding eye contact.

On the table lay a bouquet of roses, a box of chocolates, sketch pads, and drawing materials. Jisu couldn't comprehend the meaning behind them.

“What's all this for, Yeji?”

“Well...” Yeji hesitated, biting her lip. “Gifts?”

“Yeji, what's going on?”

With a deep breath, Yeji met Jisu's gaze. She confessed, “I love you, Jisu. You're the one who made me realize my feelings for Chaeryeong were fading. From high school till now, my heart has been yours.” Yeji paused, eyes shut as if gathering courage, then continued, “I've kept these feelings hidden for years.”

“But Yeji, I'm in a relationship. Why did you do this?”

“If I hadn't let fear dictate my actions, that Shin wouldn't have gotten her way in.” Yeji's demeanor shifted, her jaw clenched and fists tightened.

“Ryujin won't take this well, Yeji. You're already on thin ice with her.”

“Jisu. I love you, okay? I'm in love with you.” Yeji's sincerity hung heavy in the air, unsettling Jisu. She feared this confession might jeopardize their friendship.

“Yeji--”

“It's agonizing to watch you with her. It's unbearable seeing you give the love I've yearned for to someone else. I'm falling apart every time I witness you embrace her, kiss her... It hurts.”

“Y-Yeji, I... I am so sorry--”

Yeji shook her head. “No, don't apologize. I just... I had to tell you how I feel because I can't keep it inside any longer.” She forced a bitter chuckle.

Jisu averted her gaze, unable to meet Yeji's forced smile, knowing it masked her true anguish.

“I can't accept these, Yeji.”

“Please, do. Consider them a gift from a friend. I know my limits, Jisu. I know where I stand.”

After a few moments of awkward silence, Yeji softly announced her departure and rose to leave. Jisu, snapping out of her daze, quickly stood up, feeling it was only polite to walk Yeji to the door.

As they reached the doorway, Yeji paused and enveloped Jisu in a tight embrace, her tears soaking through the fabric of Jisu's shirt. “Don't distance yourself from me, please...”

Initially hesitant, Jisu eventually returned the embrace, her arm slowly encircling Yeji.

“Promise me we'll still be friends after this. Say you won't cut me off. Please, Jisu,” Yeji implored, her voice breaking under the weight of her emotions. Fearful of losing Jisu after her confession, she held onto her tightly.

Jisu closed her eyes, struggling to maintain her composure amidst Yeji's tears. Despite knowing it might upset Ryujin, she couldn't bear to see Yeji hurting. With resolve, she made her decision. “I promise.”

Feeling a sense of relief from Jisu's words, Yeji gently released her grip. “Thank you,” she murmured close to Jisu's ear, leaving a fleeting kiss on her cheek before adding, “I'll head out on my own. Thanks again, Jisu.”