𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝘁𝘄𝗼 | worry-worth

THE CLASSROOM had emptied out, leaving Jisu and Chaeryeong in peaceful solitude. With the graduation ceremony for the Fourth Year students of Shin International University just a week away, excitement was in the air. Jisu learned that Yuna, who was pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Business Management, had clinched the highest honors. Chaeryeong could barely contain her joy when she heard the news from Jisu.

Yuna's stellar academic achievements made it impossible to overlook her for acceleration. Thus, despite her young age, she was on the tip of becoming a college graduate.

Yuna had recently stumbled upon a gem of a new restaurant and was eager to share the find with her friends. Today was the day they had all decided to check it out, now just awaiting Yuna's arrival at the university's exit gate. Unfortunately, Ryujin couldn't join them as she was tasked by her mother with overseeing the preparations for the upcoming Graduation Day.

“Hi there!” Yuna greeted them energetically as she finally made her appearance. Her signature bright smile lit up her face as she walked up to Jisu and Chaeryeong. Giving Jisu a warm hug and then affectionately kissing Chaeryeong on the forehead, she announced, “I bet you're both starving by now, so let's head out!”

As they waited for their food to arrive, Jisu plugged in her white wired earphones to immerse herself in her playlist. The music blared at full volume, drowning out all other sounds. So when Yuna suddenly yanked out her earphone, Jisu jumped in surprise.

“I've been trying to get your attention, eonni,” Yuna said, arms crossed, “I noticed Auntie talking to you a few days ago. What was that all about?”

Across the living room, Jisu’s mother and Ryujin were deep in conversation. Had Jisu's camera been in hand, she would have captured this precious moment as a cherished memory.

“Miss Choi.”

“Hello, President.”

“May I ask who confessed first?”

Hearing the question, a smile played on Jisu's lips as she recalled the lengths Ryujin went to in order to confess her feelings. “It was Ryujin.”

“So, are you just forced to return my daughter's feelings because you know that you might get in trouble if you didn't?”

Jisu was taken aback, her disbelief written all over her face. “President?” she uttered. “I'm sorry, but are you suggesting that my love for your daughter isn't genuine?”

“Absolutely not,” came the quick response.

“Well, it certainly came across that way.”

President Shin sought to mend the tension, explaining her stance, “I was merely being cautious. The last thing I want is for my precious daughter to suffer heartbreak at the hands of someone who doesn't truly value her.”

The edge in Jisu's feelings softened, understanding the concern behind Mrs. Shin's words. “President, it might be premature for me to declare, but I envision a future where Ryujin is by my side. I would never intentionally hurt her; doing so would be akin to destroying myself.”

“That's reassuring to hear,” President Shin murmured, her gaze lingering on her daughter. “Just know, if anyone ever dares to hurt my family, particularly my daughter, I'm capable of actions beyond your wildest imagination.”

President Shin's warning sent shivers down Jisu's spine, especially when she recalled that Mrs. Shin had been the one to take down the person who killed her husband.

“Try to see it from my aunt's perspective,” Yuna gently suggested after listening to Jisu's story, “Given everything they've endured, her reaction makes sense.”

Jisu acknowledged this with a nod, fully aware and empathetic towards the reasons behind the protective stance.

Shortly, their conversation was interrupted as a waiter arrived, carefully setting a large tray on their table.

“Just stay safe, okay?” Yuna cautioned, her concern evident.

“Hah, I'm practically invincible!” Jisu quipped back, aiming for a light-hearted moment. However, instead of the expected laughter, Yuna offered a soft smile, her eyes filled with a mix of fondness and worry.