𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝘀𝗶𝘅 | damage control ≠ more damage

JISU'S BREATH, already unsteady, turned into a shiver as they neared the familiar sight of Ryujin's childhood home.

Catching sight of Jisu's trembling form, Ryujin extended a comforting hand to pat Jisu's thigh.

“Come on, let's get you to a doctor.”

“Well-- O-Okay…”

Ryujin's stolid eyes stared at Jisu for more than a second before deciding to open her mouth. “Before this day ends, I will make mom apologize to you.”

“W-What?” Jisu's eyes widened the moment her girlfriend's words sunk in. Her heartbeat pounded involuntarily fast as she understood Ryujin's point.

“No one can harm you as long as I'm alive, I promised that to you right?” Jisu nodded, but Ryujin sighed. “But I failed to protect you from my own mother.”

“Ryujin--”

“I will make her apologize, Jisu-yah. Let's go.”

The incident with Mrs. Shin had only happened four days prior, leaving Jisu unprepared to confront her again. She was unsure how Ryujin's mother would react upon seeing her daughter alongside the very person she had threatened.

As Ryujin brought the car to a stop and stepped out to open Jisu's door, Jisu found herself breathless with apprehension. Her instincts screamed at her to stay put, yet there Ryujin stood, door ajar, waiting. Taking a deep breath to steady herself, Jisu slowly exhaled, letting the tension ease out of her body. Grasping Ryujin's hand for reassurance, she felt a flicker of courage.

Feeling Jisu's tension, Ryujin caressed her arm comfortingly. “Don't worry, I've got you,” she whispered, pressing a reassuring kiss to her forehead. “I'm here to keep you safe.”

As they entered, the grand foyer and its striking chandelier welcomed them, leaving Jisu in awe for the second time.

Leading the way, Ryujin took Jisu towards a smaller door in the left wing of the house, causing Jisu's heart to race with dread. She found herself clutching Ryujin's hand tighter, seeking solace.

“R-Ryujin--” she began, only for Ryujin to press on, opening the door without hesitation. Jisu was forced to swallow her anxiety, facing her fears head-on as they stepped inside.

The room featured a counter with several bar stools, and there, amidst a clutter of empty bottles, sat Mrs. Shin, looking disheveled and far from the composed figure Jisu admired and respected. Despite her previous admiration for the president, in this moment, Jisu was consumed by a single overwhelming emotion: fear.

“Shin.”

At the sound of her name, Mrs. Shin spun around, her eyes narrowing until recognition set in. She quickly descended from the bar stool and enveloped her daughter in a tight embrace.

Jisu instinctively stepped backward, her reflexes kicking in, unable to hide her fear with Mrs. Shin so near.

Holding Ryujin's face gently, Mrs. Shin looked into her eyes, concerned. “Are you okay?!”

Ignoring her mother's question, Ryujin pushed away gently, “Let me go.”

Mrs. Shin stepped back, puzzled and hurt by Ryujin's uncharacteristic coldness. “You vanished, and I was terrified. Why are you acting this way?”

“I was alright. I just needed some space,” Ryujin explained, her voice steady. “That was until I found out you went after Jisu with a sledgehammer.”

Dismissively, Mrs. Shin turned her gaze to Jisu. “What, are you trying to turn my own daughter against me? First, you hurt her, and now this?”

“She hasn't done anything, Mom. She never hurt me,” Ryujin interjected firmly.

“But--”

“Say you're sorry,” Ryujin demanded, her tone leaving no room for argument.

Mrs. Shin looked from her daughter to Jisu, her jaw tensed. Jisu took a deep breath, her heart racing as Mrs. Shin stepped closer, causing her to flinch. “I'm sorry, Jisu,” Mrs. Shin said, bending closer to whisper, “But I'd advise you to always be on your guard from now on.”