A Chill in the Air - 1x05 - Francis + Bash + Mary

"Francis has you," Sebastian paused, looking at the saddened, drunken girl who sat before him. "why would he look elsewhere?" he asked her, his words smooth and calming.

Mary blinked at the dreamy words, unable to clearly remember how she had exactly gotten to this point, getting drunk with her fiancee's illegitimate half brother. It had all started with an argument with Francis, their first proper fight. How stupid of her to think they could actually be happy together! Mere hours after proclaiming himself hers and only hers, he goes and locks lips with his former little girlfriend? He was so stupid! A stupid, moody, arrogant, arse! A voice in her head yelled out. She was already irritated with Catherine, and her fight with Kenna had upset her, Olivia had angered her by that ridiculous claim, and now Francis had to add to her burdens! Why would he say something like that to her, to the insecure girl who was always was so, so different to he and any other girl he had been with?

Mary remembered the clipped, regal voice he used before they really started fighting. How his chin tipped upwards, almost as if he didn't know how to respond to her desperation, because he's been risen to be such a prim and proper young royal. So, almost coldly, he told her the truth about what happened. But what did that even mean? What did he stop?  She could see how guarded he had suddenly became, what did that mean? What could it mean?

His eyes were the real thing that captured her when he started fighting with her. The way he lowered his head, looked at her with such promising eyes. Promising what? He nearly pleaded out the words, but she was so jealous and afraid to truly listen to him. She was scared, she was so young, and she was scared. Scared of loosing him, scared of living like Catherine had to live. It was almost like he was trying to reassure her, but of what? What would he possibly reassure her of when he had just told her something had happened between he and Olivia, only hours after his first love -his first everything- came back into his life again? Something had happened, but what? What could -would- happen now that he had made it very obvious that she was to stay?

Why would he threaten her with something he knew she was scared of? Living like Catherine, being so cold and alone, untouchable and broken, cold and withered as her husband indulged in every woman that he wanted. Why would he remind her that he could take a mistress?

And yes, perhaps accusing him of acting like his father wasn't a brilliant idea, but she was drunk and upset and sad, she wanted his comfort. She hadn't known this type of feeling before, one of jealousy and mistrust, fear and uncertainty. She was insecure and he had responded with anger, not comfort. It hurt, and the wine made it hurt less. And the handsome man being so kind to her, offering her the comfort that she had been so sorely denied by her own fiancee.

Impulsively, she leaned forwards towards Sebastian. He wasn't exactly denying her, either. Lola's words of he having feelings for her were sorely running true. But as angry as she was with Francis, even in such a miserable, intoxicated state, she couldn't give him reason to be angry with her like she was with him. At the last moment, Mary turned her face away, Sebastian's lips coming into contact with her cheek.

She huffed in shame, pulling back. Not wanting him to say anything about what had nearly happened between them, Mary pulled the canter from his hands and sucked down the drops of alcohol. She hadn't been drunk before, having grown up in such a poor, impoverished convent. Wine was what the older girls dreamed about in the convent, what the bitter old nuns tutted about. She didn't think she was drunk just yet, but whatever the young, saddened Queen was feeling, she enjoyed it. Her head was lighter, and she didn't have to feel as much sadness as she would have if she didn't have a great deal of wine and whatever was in Bash's canter, and barely any food in her stomach. 

She turned sharply back at Sebastian when he made an odd jerking motion with his head and spoke to her, but didn't look at her. "Mary," he spoke. "I think my brother wishes to speak with you." he finished, his voice changing from the soft, gentle tone to a more clipped one. Did it run in the family?