Drawn and Quartered - 2x02 - Francis + Mary

(Jeeze, I didn't realise how many issues I had with this episode until I looked at my rewrite notes. I think this is the last rewrite I've got for this episode -so far- and I don't have many rewrites left in my requests or things I've thought of myself. So, give a girl a few ideas down below please! What episode or scene do you hate and want a girl to rewrite? But if it's relationship wise, like Mary choosing Bash or Francis having Lola as a mistress, it's not gonna happen by this hand! I'll only write Frary, occasionally some grieth or kennash or cathry, apart from Frary, which is my main one. I do have quite a few things planned for the oneshot book, however, so we've still got a lot to get through before we go cold turkey for updates on this and the oneshot book. So, just a reminder for some requests and as always, feedback is essential, so no just voting please! It drives me crazy! Okay, back to story!)

The door opens suddenly, slamming against the concrete wall, the sound echoing with the riptide of the force of the new occupants' push. The echoes continue forcefully, like ripples in the sea. Rapid footsteps and a loose gait provide a counter beat to the frantic orchestra. Rumbles of fine clothing and grumbles of thickened, fine fabric were the melody of the revenir between le roi et la riene de Francais.

"Mary," le roi de Francais gasped out, rushing into his new chambers in which his undisputed Queen sat silently. In a stark contrast to his entrance, all gangly limbs and rapid steps, frantic gait loose and long, the Queen of France and Scotland simply slowly turned her head from h its position staring out the window, perched upon the window seat, her skirts blooming behind her. The courtyard was full, she noticed, full of joyous nobility who celebrated the new Kings' return, and an enormous entourage, it's purpose unclear to the Queen. Did a King, a whore and a bastard need such an entourage? A king, yes, but a whore and a bastard? No, definatley not.

La riene de Francais tensed when suddenly, thickened arms were around her small frame. She reacted not with joy, like the last time he had returned to her from probable death, there were no tears of elation or happiness, of relief. Not that the King noticed however, he was too busy breathing in and out deeply, one arm clenching her to him, the other stroking her hair, up and down, murmuring things to her. Not that she could really believe those three forbidden words in the same way, anyway.

"Oh, Mary," he whispers to her. "I'm so glad you're alright." he says. "I was so worried when you weren't in the courtyard as I returned." he breathes quietly, kissing her hair over and over. Where was his concern and fear when he willingly abandoned her to deal with his dying Kingdom for another woman? She closes her eyes, not wanting to listen anymore. All she heard were the words he had said before he had abandoned her for weeks, forcing her a fortnight of pain and worry and uncertainty and fear.

There are risks that you take for the people that you love, his past self had yelled. Could that mean-?

"Do you love her?" she whispered onto his chest. He pulled back slowly, confusion splattered across his face.

"What?" he asks.

"There are risks that you take for the people that you love." she recited quietly. "You told me that, and then you abandoned me for Lola. You love her." she states sadly.

"Of course not." he took her face into his hands, cupping it gently, holding it like the most precious thing it was. "Why would you ask something like that? Why would you even think it?" he asks.

"There are risks that you take for the people that you love." she recited quietly. "You told me that, and then you abandoned me for Lola. You love her." she states sadly. He shook his head. The King keeled before the Queen, only fitting.

"I do not." he whispers, bringing her forehead to his. She didn't resist him, although she does have some difficulty meeting his penetrating gaze. "I barely care for her as a friend. What happened between she and I was nothing more than a mistake. I love the child we hold together." Mary felt a wave of anger and envy so deep that she barely saw anything else. Only God knew how she kept it locked inside herself. "But you are the only woman I see. I will ever see. I love you more than anything in this world," he breathes. "I cannot be more sorry for leaving you the way I did." his hands slid from her face, tangling with her own, but he kept their foreheads pressed together. "I was reckless, prideful, impulsive and wrong. There were other ways of handling it, other ways of ensuring the childs' safety and remaining by your side at the same time. Forgive me, Mary." he pleaded.

Mary said nothing. "Time." she conceded.

"That's fine." he whispers. Mary's eyes slide closed, unwilling to admit how comforting his words and his actions were. Although she did need more than words to provide him with the forgiveness he needed, they were soothing her hurt feelings and bruised pride. He so wished to hold her and kiss her and beg for her forgiveness, but they would do little to help the situation. 

If she opened her eyes, she would be able to see the torment in his own. The need to know that she still loved him and accepted him despite the mistakes he had made. He wasn't sure what he had done was right, as a King, as a man, as a husband. Granted, he had sought out and protected his son from what would undoubtedly be his death, but at what cost? What cracks in his marriage had been caused by his abandonment of his wife, the one that he loved the most? That thought alone had plagued his return from the impromptu campsite. What risks had he caused in helping Lola?  What cracks had formed in his marriage by leaving her to handle their dying Kingdom alone, all the while frightened and vulnerable and alone in her own right?

Mary said no words to comfort him, but the fact she didn't pull away from him was comforting enough for now. The fact that she stayed by him willingly had to be enough. He knew there was a massive possibility that she was hiding her feelings from him, but he had to trust their love, he had to trust that she would open up to him as she once had in their courtship. But this time, they were no regular boy or girl, they are no regular man and woman. He'd have to find peace in this new relationship as a King and Queen. And so would she.

And maybe they could.