The Prince of the Blood - 2x07 - Francis + Lola {Rewrite}

~/~

Based around the time that Lola lies to Francis and states that she threw the letter out of the window of her carriage!

~/~

The former Lady of the clan Fleming slowly walked into the study that belonged to her King and the father of her child. She walked quietly, curtsying as was proper, as the King of France's page introduced her to the blonde King who sat at his desk working.

"Your Majesty."   she murmured, rising when bidded to. 

"Lola." Francis sighed out her name, the words full of exasperation and irritation as the former Lady Fleming met the icy gaze of the King of France. Behind the many papers on his desk, the young King looked tired, she noted, walking into the room properly.

"Your brother, Sebastian, informed me that you wanted to speak with me?" Lola asked, beginning the conversation almost awkwardly, threading her arms around her purple velvet covered abdomen. Ever since she had been disowned by her parents when Francis had been out looking for his wife when Mary and Catherine were kidnapped by the Englishman Gifford, Lola had been avoiding him.

"My brother tells me that you are accentuated with the Lord Narciesse." Francis asked plainly, pushing one black velvet tapestry covered arm onto the table. The elbow met the hard oak, hand holding a white feather quill. He spoke without pretence, plainly. "How close are the two of you?" he asks. 

"Excuse me?" she asked, her brows raising in the air. At the mention of his surname, Lola felt the heat of the man's whisper as he warned her against Francis' attempts to use her.

"My mothers spies tell me that you visit his estate more than once since the last you and I spoke of matters such as this." he states plainly, irritated. He looks at her like she's a petulant child, she realises. Who knew? Perhaps to a man such as this, a King in his own right and through marriage, she was just that.

"We-" she paused. "We've reached an understanding between each other." Lola stated slowly, folding her hands around her skirts. There is a noticeable lack of rings upon her fingers, a lack of grandeur jewellery upon her neck or ears than there would have been just a few weeks previous, before the letter had came through of her parents cutting her off. Ever since, all the gifts she had been given from them had to be returned, and would be given to her brothers' wife. Was this what life was to be like now? Living off Francis' hospitalises and her sons' lands, which could just as easily be taken away with the sweep of a paintbrush?

"You must execute restraint, Lola." Francis warned. "Narciesse is dangerous and will stop at nothing to attain what he wants." he states plainly.

"I know." Lola says, a smile creeping up her cheeks at the memory of their tea sessions and the archery lesson he had treated her to. And then the memory of his body pressed firmly up against hers, stealing a deep kiss from her.

Francis glares at her as she comes back to reality.

"Tell me that you haven't been foolish enough to sleep with him?" he asks. He isn't horrified, he's angry.

"I do not see how that is any of your business, your highness!" she squeaks, her cheeks flushing in embarrassment.

"Of course it is, are you taking leave of your intelligence as well as your mind?" he shoots back. "In case you have forgotten, you are not only a friend, but you are the mother of my child, a lady in waiting to my wife's." he states.

"You expect me to stand docile and penitent in the corner until you have a use for me? Francis, in case you have forgotten, I am no tool that you can use when you want to!"