Sins of the Past - 2x13 - Francis + Mary

~/~

Side Note - this isn't exactly a rewrite, but it's a scene I wish we would have had. In 2x13, Francis and Mary talk about expanding a chateaux in the Loire Valley. Set after they've taken a trip there to get a break from Court and all the memories it has for the both of them!

~/~

"Francis, thank you. It was such a beautiful trip." Mary smiles softly, slowly taking Francis' hand into her own. Her golden King smiles handsomely at her, so gently that it brings a flutter to her heart. He leans a large palm upon her small hand, warming it within his own.

"Of course." he smiles towards her, pausing in their attempts to get back to Mary's chambers, walking into a nearby alcove that gave the King and Queen of France the space they needed as their things were brought from the carriages. "It's been a while since I've seen you so free, so contented. I'd do anything to bring that to you." he says, his voice gentle and melodic and soothing. Mary smiles contentedly, allowing his hand to caress her cheek. She leans her cheek upon her husbands' hand. His palm is so warm and gentle upon her skin. "Things've been so hard, Mary. I know that. It was an equally as therapeutic retreat for myself, as it has been for you."

Mary smiles at him, leaning up upon her tip toes to kiss his cheek softly. Their eyes connect as Mary pulls away slowly. Francis' smile reaches his eyes, his wife swearing that it warms her heart, seeing those beautiful blue orbs shine with such truthful love and adoration after so many months of turmoil and guilt and sadness and grief. 

"Do you recognise where we are?" Francis asks, looking up at the alcove. Mary looks up as well, slowly holding both of his hands in her own. Her heart is warm, despite the coldness of the outside weather. She nods slowly.

"It's where we were reunited after so many weeks apart." the Queen of France's words are soft and loving. "Where you asked me to marry you for the second time." she smiles. Mary accept Francis' kiss to her forehead, leaning her forehead upon his chest after he had pulled away. Her heart is warm with love and contentment. As if fearing that she would grow cold, the King of France slowly wraps his arms around his wife's small body. She burrowed her face into his neck, silently trying to tell him that there was no need for such reservations. They were married as man and wife in the eyes of God. "I love you, Francis." she whispers to him. "Thank you for being so patient and kind with me over the last while." she tells him, looking up into his eyes.

"I love you, so much." he tells her, pushing an errant lock of raven curl from her face, it had the audacity to try and hide such beauty from his vision. "And there's no need for a thanks. There's nothing I would have done other than help you heal. I love you." he ends with a whisper, kissing her forehead again. Mary closes her eyes at his kiss, serenaded by such a small, intimate gesture.

A yawn passes her lips. She gave it no permission, but it passed anyway.

Francis chuckles at her, pulling back, seeing her doe-eyed appearance. He had known she had been growing tired half way through their trip from the Chateaux to Court.

"You're tired." he states softly. She opens her mouth to try and rebut such a statement, but another yawn proves her a liar. He smiles at her. Kindly, gently. "My love, go to your rooms. Take rest, it's been a long trip." he states.

"Will you follow?" she asks quietly. They had been sharing a room ever since Lady Greer's departure from Court, having just started sharing a bed again in their weeks away. He nods.

"I will, there's nowhere else I'd rather be than beside you." he says. Mary giggles and flushes with pleasure at such a sentence. "I just have one place to pass first, then I'll be with you."

"Where?" she asks quietly.

"I-I've been away. I must check upon Jean-Phillipe." as soon as the name passes through his lips, the King of France wishes to suck it back up and remove it from Mary's memory. Her slight sag and the playful smile leaving her lips brought him guilt.

"Oh." her word was quiet. She stepped away -a courteous step- from her husband with a nod. "I see. Very well." her words were clipped, short. Mary made turn to leave their little alcove, but Francis slowly took her wrist in his hand, bringing her back to him.

"What's wrong?" he asks. Mary smiles sadly.

"Nothing, it's just-" she sighs. "It's been a while since I lost-" the baby went unsaid, but they both heard the two words loud and clear. "and with the time it's taken to even get comfortable enough to have you sleep next to me, I-I grow weary of my childlessness and-" he saw her swallow a lump in her throat. "Lola's birthed you a child. I-I worry that-" she trails again.

"That you can't." he finishes for her. She nods to his words. He takes her hands in his. "My love, there's no need to worry for such things. Yes, it's disappointing that we haven't been blessed with a babe of our own just yet. And I still feel the sting of our lost babe-" he says, swallowing thickly. "and it will take time to get to the point where we can comfortably try for another child. But, it is of no matter. I'm still here, right beside you. And I'll wait for as long as it takes until you heal enough to be with me. For me, it doesn't matter if it is next month, or next year. You've endured a horror, it matters not for me when we have a child of our own. I have faith that will will. Now, my priority is that you heal from all that you've endured. Do you understand?"

Mary blinked the tears from her eyes, pressing a kiss to his cheek, expressing all she wanted to say into no words at all.

He smiled at her again. "Now, go to your chambers. Take your rest, I'll be with you soon."