Chapter One

The day started the same way all the others did. He was already in school by eight o'clock, listening to the building settle as he strolled through the corridor. He greeted the janitors as they strolled past him and skillfully avoided the shallow puddles as they dried. They were always in the same place.

Kadir enjoyed the sound of his boots clicking lightly against the tiled flooring and cast pleased glances out the floor-to-ceiling windows. The faint heat of early morning sunlight warmed his olive skin and he tucked his black hair behind his right ear.

Same old, same old. He pulled his silver pocket watch from his cardigan. Eight-fifteen. Jonathan should be here any moment now, he thought.

People started walking in, one by one. They were the usual bunch: the early-risers, the ones avoiding the foot traffic, the overachievers — Kadir knew their type, seen them around. He was one of them in a way. A niche within theirs.

Eight-twenty. Still no Jonathan.

The more people who flowed in, the closer Kadir moved to the walls. With them came the noise, the haphazard mixture of conversations and footsteps, the shuffling of sleepy teenagers. It unnerved him.

Eight-twenty-five.

Eventually, the hall was full. Students migrated in their packs, in their cliques. The noise swelled and enveloped the whole room, forcing the boy to drown in it. Twiddling the silver ring on his finger, Kadir tried to slow his breathing and his heart rate. He's surely just running late. He'll be here. Just wait for him.

The swarms moved towards the lockers, trapping Kadir in the corner between the lockers and the door. His breath hitched as his eyes darted around the room. Where is he? He should be here.

Eight-twenty-seven. Everyone was at their lockers now, rummaging through them, trying to get to class on time. Their conversations assaulted his ears, their odd scents nauseated him, the heat radiating off them made him feverish. Jonathan was nowhere to be seen.

"Help me." Breath after heavy breath ripped out of his lungs as he fell to the floor. He pulled his knees up to his chest. No one noticed. Chills sprinted up and down his spine as his throat dried. He held his head down. Here it comes. His heart thudded in his ears as his chest tightened and it became more and more difficult to breathe. He shut his eyes.

Run to the library, a voice suggested. You'll be safe there.

Too many people in the way.

Then we wait it out.

He shakily checked his pocket watch. Eight-thirty-two. Class started two minutes ago. He exhaled. "Great, I'm late." His stomach churned. If I knew this was going to happen, I wouldn't have eaten this morning. He dry heaved as he drew his knees further into his chest and braced himself for the waves of dread.

"I didn't think I'd get here this late!" Kadir peered out of his circle of panic to look at who was talking. A girl about his age bolted through the doors as the teacher on duty started to close them, murmuring her frantic apologies. Her curly black hair flew behind her like a cape in its ponytail and the gentle sunlight made her russet brown skin glow golden, reflecting off her thick-rimmed orange glasses. There was something familiar about her—he must've seen her around before; he didn't pay much attention to other people.

She rushed past Kadir's hiding place, taking long strides before she stopped, turned and made eye contact with him. He squeaked.

She looked around, making sure that she wasn't hallucinating, and approached him cautiously. "Hey, are you okay?"