Chapter Five

The next day rolled around like clockwork and as usual, Kadir was out and about as the sun started to awaken. He nibbled on his bap as he walked to school and a familiar voice called out his name. He hesitated, unsure whether or not he was hallucinating, and glanced in the voice's direction.

Clementine approached, her marigold orange dress brightening up the dull colours of the winter street. "Good morning, Kadir," she chirped.

"Hi. What're you doing here? I've never seen you on this road before."

She flashed her signature smile. "I walk this way often but I'm not usually here so early. Something told me to show up earlier. I should listen to my instincts more often." He nodded absent-mindedly and continued walking. She bounced to his side and matched his pace instantly. "What you eating?"

"Bacon bap," he said between bites. "With caramelised onions." She nodded thoughtfully. Make conversation. He offered it to her. "Do you want a bite?"

"No thanks. I prefer my bacon baps with raw onions and barbecue sauce. I hate caramelised onions," she says, shuddering. "I don't like the texture."

"I see." Silence. "Uh, since you want to 'be my friend', should I rattle off personal facts about me?"

"That's cheating," she scolded. "I want to unlock them the normal way."

"You say some really odd things."

"Do you like them?"

"I don't hate them."

She beamed. "That's enough for me." They strolled into school and Kadir's eyes darted around the corridor. Clementine regarded him, confused. "Is there someone you looking for?"

"Oh, no. Just checking how many people are here."

"Do you not like crowded places?′

He scoffed. "Something like that."

Clementine stopped at her locker, only a few doors down from Kadir's. "We have literature first." She winced. "I didn't do Mr Cordova's assignment last night."

"I did."

"And that's why you're his favourite student."

"Everyone says that," murmured Kadir. "I'll never understand."

Mr Cordova's lesson came and went quickly without a single mention of his homework. The pair parted ways afterwards. "See you after school," said Clementine as she prepared for her next lesson.

The day went by just as quickly and Kadir found a familiar dark cloud settled over his heart. There it is. The depression. He was wondering when it'd return. He dragged his feet towards the exit and saw Clementine with her little circle of friends. He tried to sneak past her, avoid her glaring happiness but she snagged him. "Hey, Kadir!" she yelled the moment she saw his bobbed head. He weakly waved and walked in their direction. "This is Dahlia," she said, pointing at the brown girl dripping in silver, "and this is London." The pastel boy said hello.

Kadir gave a polite nod and tried to leave but Clementine gently held his arm. "Where are you off to in such a hurry? I thought we were going to walk home together."

"I, uh, I can't today. I'm going somewhere."

"Where you going?"

"To a bookshop."

"Oh, I love bookshops," replied Clementine, slinging her bag across her back. "Can I come with?"

Kadir regarded her, puzzled. "You want to come with me?"

"Yeah. Is...something wrong?" she ask

"No one's ever wanted to go to a bookshop with me. Not even Jonathan."

"I'm not him. Clearly." Her friends watched the exchange with curious gazes. "Alright, guys. I'm off. See you tomorrow." She and Dahlia exchanged cheek kisses and London engulfed her in a bear hug. "Let's go."

Kadir made his way down winding back alleys with Clementine on his heels until they reached a small shop tucked into a corner, casting light onto the street in front of it. Without a word, he stepped inside and Clementine followed. The shop was cluttered with potted plants, odd knick-knacks and towers of dusty volumes. A short old man with slicked-back brown hair pottered around the rows of short bookcases that dotted the room and a stack of beanbags sat unoccupied in the far-right corner. A kettle whistled on a stove of sight.

"Good afternoon, Mr Georgio," said Kadir. The old man didn't seem to hear him. Kadir browsed the selection and plucked out a tome. "Kafka on the Shore." He picked up another. "Norwegian Wood. Both classics in their own right." His eyes twinkled faintly. "Haruki Murakami has never written a bad book."

"I know that pleased voice anywhere." The old man turned around and a broad smile appeared on his wrinkled face.

"Hello, young man. It's been a while since I've seen you. I got the books you asked for." He hobbled towards the cash register and pulled a bundle of books out from underneath it." He cast a glance at Clementine. "Who's the pretty lady?"

"She's-"

"I'm his friend, Clementine. Nice to meet you."

"Pleasure," he said, shaking her hand. "That's a lovely name, dearie." The old man belly-laughed. "Here I was thinking he didn't have any friends." Clementine snickered.

Kadir flushed. "Thank you for the books," he said, cradling the bundle in his arms. He turned to go and Clementine did the same but the bookshop keeper called out to her.

"Hey, dearie. Keep an eye on him for me, okay? Madison does the best she can, bless her heart, but he needs all the loving he can get."

"Yes, sir."

By the time they stepped out onto the street, the road has significantly dimmed and the number of people walking past had lessened. "Can I walk you home this time?" she asked, staring up the darkening sky.

"I don't see why not." Her face glowed with appreciation.

She looped her arm through his, sauntered towards his dwellings and stopped on his doorstep. "Here we are."

"Thank you, Clementine."

She beamed. "You finally said my name." He shook his head in almost condescension.

"You pay attention to the strangest things."

"Correction, to the little things." She tucked some of his hair behind his ear. "Makes life seem more meaningful." He recoiled at her gentle touch.

"What, what are you doing?"

"I'm touching you," she said plainly. "Are you not used to being touched?"

"Not... really. I'm not touch-starved or anything of the sort but no, I'm not used to it."

"Did it feel nice?"

"...maybe." He cleaned his nails for a moment, avoiding eye contact. "If we're going to become... close, would you be willing to help me grow accustomed to touching?"

"Of course, sunshine." Clementine stroked his hair gently; he squirmed. She giggled. "Bye Kadir."

"See you tomorrow."

"You're warming up to me," she purred. "Free trial, here I come."