Chapter Two

Kadir gently closed the door behind him and walked towards the reception. There sat Ms Cadence with her mousy brown hair scraped into a bun and her wireframe glasses perched on her nose. "Ms Cadence," said Kadir, his voice shaking. She looked up at him with her soft brown eyes, concerned.

"Good morning Kadir," she replied. "How are you doing?"

"Not great," he mumbled.

"Oh? What happened?"

"Long story."

"You wanna talk about it?" He nodded. She got up, walked out from behind the counter and draped her arm around his side. Cadence guided him through the maze of bookshelves and hidden nooks before they arrived in Kadir's favourite spot. "So what happened?"

He told her about Jonathan's odd absence and his mini panic attack as she nodded her head. "Then this girl showed up and stopped to talk to me even though she was late."

"Did you know her?"

"I recognised her vaguely but no, I didn't. Apparently, she's in my class."

"What did she do?"

"She just crouched in front of me and asked me questions. I wasn't about to tell her anything vital so I just said I was sad. Then she did something completely unexpected: she asked if she could walk me to class."

"That's kind of her," said Ms Cadence.

"That's the problem! Why was she being so kind to me? She doesn't know me so why take the time to help me?"

"Maybe she's just a Good Samaritan."

"Good Samaritans aren't real."

The young woman sighed, wrapping her beige cardigan around her. "I forget how cynical you are sometimes." The bell on the library front desk rang and Ms Cadence got to her feet. "Give me a moment."

Kadir sunk into the beanbag as he surrendered himself to his thoughts. What was going on today?

When the librarian returned, she sat next to the black-haired boy and scanned his face. She saw the sorrow in his eyes. "Do you need a hug?"

"Yes please." She embraced him gently and sat in silence until he spoke up again. "Something else happened."

"Something else about Jonathan?"

He nodded solemnly. "I, I saw him in the corridor and approached him but he had Eden on his arm."

Ms Cadence frowned. "Why?"

"I don't know. She said, she said they were dating and she told me I was using him. And he, he didn't say anything at all. Nothing. Then he was gone. He left with her." Kadir sniffled and pulled his knees to his chest. "I couldn't do anything. I was speechless."

"Kadir..." He wept, his chest heaving, while Cadence watched in silence. She handed him a handkerchief as his breathing returned to normal and patted him on the back.

"Well, the day will be over soon. If you see Jonathan again, see if you can talk to him but if you don't, try not to think about it. Please don't resort to your medicines. I know it's simpler than fighting your feelings but they're not good for you." Kadir sighed.

"Something you have to do, though, is thank your good Samaritan. Did she tell you her name?"

"It's Clementine."

"You have to go and thank her for her help."

Kadir curled into himself. "Do I have to, miss?"

"Yes, you do." She stroked his hair. "When the Universe gives you a good thing, your only job is to say thank you. You don't have to be friends with her suddenly but be courteous."