Chapter 13: To be different is to be special

"So, you are special?" Asked the boy, coated with thick clothings due to the cold weather.

It was snowing. The palace's garden was almost painted with white, the plants and trees were protected by magic for them not to freeze and wither.

The girl in a royal gown, with the same color as the dim sky, let out a scoff. "I am different, not special. That was two different things."

She shivered as the wintry breeze passed by, the little prince noticed her discomfort. He went near her and fire emitted from his hands. Her eyes locked on the vehement and beaming flame, which brings warmth and relief to her.

"It's still the same. Do you know the saying that everyone is different on their own, and that somehow makes them special?" The boy stated.

She snickered in sarcasm. "What a lame, old phrase." But was taken aback when she saw him staring at her intently.

"Maybe you don't believe it because you don't even see yourself as special."

The both of them went silent as the snow continued to pour through the night, with the two of them watching the garden being slowly blanketed with white.

"You accept how different you are, why can't you accept being special?"

My family never didn't told me how unique and special I was when I was a kid. I always used to believe them because I, too, believed that I am special, that I am different.

But after a lot that happened, hindi ko alam ang dapat 'kong maramdaman sa pagiging iba, in being different.

It was too great to be one, not until I slowly realized that the world isn't revolving around me. It was too good to believe you're special, not until you knew it was a different kind of special, far from the good things that define that word.

Hanggang ngayon ay nakatitig pa rin ako sa badge na sobra kung magningning na nakalagay sa aking uniform. Hindi pa rin ako nakaka-recover sa nangyari kanina sa loob ng hall, from the pain that the platform brought in determining my rank.

Nandito ako ngayon sa isang mahabang corridor sa labas ng hall na pinanggalingan ko. The lavish chandeliers above were too fragile that a single touch could break them. There were pillars located in a row and exquisite paintings hung on the walls, as well as primitive and fragile figurines displayed around the whole place.

The sound of the (low) heels from the boots I'm wearing echoed through the hallway as I made my way to the banquet hall for dinner. Everything still seems surreal, the observatory test, the academy, us passing as students, everything. Parang hindi pa rin nagsisink-in sa akin na nangyayari na ang lahat ng gusto 'kong mangyari at ngayon ay nandito na ako. Pakiramdam ko ay nasa isang panaginip pa ako dahil masyadong mabilis ang mga pangyayari.