❪ i. ❫ SHOUT FROM THE ROOFTOPS.

❪   CHAPTER ONE.  
i didn't make it to college , daph.

   ❫— i didn't make it to college , daph

i look at you and hold my breath.

            DAPHNE WAS EATING DINNER
WITH HER MOTHER when Steve Harrington knocked on her door heavily. She knew it was him by the rhythm in which he knockedsomething he had always done since making their relationship official and he had been over multiple times. She wiped the corners of her mouth quickly , excusing herself from the dinner table excitedly. He had promised her he'd take her out to the arcade one their first summer night together , and she had got all dressed up and ready for their first official summer date. However her smile faded when she opened the door to see a very sadteary eyed Steve who stared back at her helplessly.

     She frowned , stepping outside for privacy away from her mother. 〝Steve? What's wrong?〞

     Steve had never felt ashamed to show Daphne his emotions. He always knew that Daphne wouldn't judge him for having feelings and the first thing he did as soon as her light brown door shut , was throw his arms around her. The girl was taken aback slightly , wrapping her arms around him securely. 〝Why are you crying , sweet boy.〞She mutteredrubbing small circles on his back.

     〝I—I flunked out of college , Daph. I didn't get scholarships or anything." Steve admitted ashamed. 〝I've never seen my mom so disappointed in me.〞He pulled away , grabbing her hand and sitting on the concrete steps in front of her door. 〝They aren't paying for my college , Daphne. They're cutting me off entirely.

     Daphne looked at Steve sadly. He knew that it was his fault for caring a little too late about his schoolwork but that didn't mean her heart hurt any less for him as he wiped his tears with back of his hand. 〝Baby , I know that it sucks and I know that it hurts to see your mom disappointed in youbut it's time to put your big boy panties on and take responsibility for your own actions.〞Daphne didn't want to baby Steve like everyone else did , she cared about him and he deserved to be told the truth and not just what he wanted to hear.

     Steve put his head in his hands. 〝I hate myself for fucking things up so badly with Tommy H and Carol.〞He shook his head. He had so many regrets and he hated himself everyday for not realizing how fucking amazing Daphne White was.