Chapter 1

Yang winced as the smaller combatant smashed into the ground, again. Said combatant, Jaune Arc, was easily the weakest fighter in their class. In truth it had become a little embarrassing whenever he went up to the stage. It wasn't that he wasn't trying, it was just that he lacked any form of... well form.

Yang winced again as he took a particularly hard hit to the stomach from Cardin's mace. The far larger man left several openings and gaps in his defense that, if Yang were fighting him, would have turned the fight swiftly in her favour. However, Cardin knew the person he was fighting lacked the skill required to exploit said weaknesses. Instead, by the time Jaune finally made a move for the gaps Cardin was ready, the entire fight was a baiting game.

After several more hard hits and a few more hard smacks on the floor the fight was over.

He did... better... than last time at least.

Yang clapped her hands along with the bulk of Team RWBY and JNPR. She heard a low murmur next to her from her partner.

"What was that Kitty cat?" Yang took a not so subtle pleasure in the way her partner's eye twitched.

Blake glared at her blonde partner for the nickname before pretending it never happened. "I said, he's unteachable." She picked her book back up when it became clear Miss Goodwitch wasn't going to pick on her to fight.

Yang wasn't sure if it was because her protective side, or the fact Jaune was Ruby's friend, but for whatever reason she couldn't help defending him at least somewhat."He lasted a lot longer than what he used to manage." She was careful to keep her voice low to not attract unwanted attention from either the teacher or the students around her.

Blake sighed and slightly lowered her book. "He has improved slightly but he also trains with a Mistrillian champion, he should be far better than he is now."

"That's not really how it works though, I mean yes, he should be learning a lot from her, but just because you're good at something doesn't mean you're good at teaching it." Yang put her face in her hands as she waited for something interesting to happen in the fight in the arena.

"Or he's just bad at this." Blake kept her eyes focused on the novel in front of her.

Yang sighed. "Vomit boy tries, what more can you ask?"

As the two talked Weiss leaned over to hush them, Yang promptly ignored her.

"With the right person he could be a total badass, hell you could probably even do it." Yang sent a wink in her partners direction.

"And yet I don't want to waste my time, maybe you should do it." Blake said it like she knew the answer to her own statement.

"Maybe I will." Yang couldn't help but laugh at Blake's doubting glare.

"Yeah, and you'll turn him into one of the best combatants of our year." Blake rolled her eyes and turned back to her book.

"Wanna have a bet?" Yang move her eyes back to the fight in front of them.

"And what would we be betting?" Blake looked up from her book, apparently finding some interest in the line of thought.

"If I can make him competent, not the best but not bad, then you have to... take Weiss to that dance coming up!" Blake's shoulders stiffened slightly for a moment before shaking her head.

The heiress leaned over slightly. "I did not agree to such things."

"If you can't, which is the far more likely event, then..." A smile crept onto her face and she held out her hand. "You have to cut your hair." Yang almost fell out of her chair. "Looks like we don't have a bet." Blake began to pull her hand back before Yang gripped it tightly.