Chapter 15

A soft glow was the first thing he noticed as he opened his eyes. The early morning sun lighting up their room and serving as an effective alarm.

Jaune sat up in his bed, today was finally the day. Team JNPR would be put to the test, he would be put to the test.

He shifted over, planting his feet on the floor. Taking a moment to stretch, feeling the stiffness slowly melt away as his body finally started to warm up.

Today was the day.

Jaune looked around the room, surprised to find that he was the first of the group to truly wake up. Though he supposed it made sense, he hadn't slept much the night before. To concerned about the upcoming mission and other recent events to focus on sleep.

His mind drifted to said other events, to one blonde brawler. His cheeks growing more red by the second as he thought of the nights previous events. The dopey grin that soon found its way onto his face only serving to enhance the effect.

With a deep breath he brushed such thoughts aside, he had to focus.

He stood up, and grabbing his clothes from his closet, headed to the bathroom to change.

It was going to be a long day, he knew that much. He decided to enjoy the extra few minutes he had in the shower. It was anyone's guess how long the mission would take.

From what he had heard from the upper year students, these missions could last anywhere from a couple days to weeks, one group had even been gone a month and a half a couple years back. It all depended on your mission.

Shadowing was the easiest he had heard, just tagging along with an official hunter and some kind of law enforcement. Having them teach you how to work with your civilian counterparts.

Escorts were longer, typically helping VIPs get to some remote settlement out in the wilderness.

Guarding a village or settlement were the most common though. A sudden surge of grimm could spell the difference between life and death for people far from the safety of the kingdom. They could last anywhere from weeks to months for real hunters, but the students typically only got the small ones.

The most dangerous were the hunts. Grimm didn't always just throw themselves at you, which meant you had to track them down. Those were the most dangerous and had the highest casualty rates, but they also paid the best.

There were a couple other dozen types of missions they might have been sent on, sadly there was no way of knowing which one until later this afternoon. Which sucked, he really wanted to know what he was getting into, if for no other reason than to prepare.

All he could do for now was prepare the bare essentials and enjoy his shower.

He took a deep breath of the steam, releasing it with a sigh. He would have his team, his friends, and when he got back... he'd have a girl waiting for him as well.

The blush from earlier returned once more as he let out a soft chuckle. She already had him wrapped around her fingers and they hadn't actually gone on a date yet.

Yang must never know.

Yang watched with amusement as Ruby lead their team down the hallway. Her sister practically vibrating with anticipation.

"Ah, It's finally here!" Ruby yelled. "Our first mission!" she paused a moment, "Well... out first real mission."

Her sheer excitement seemed to be infectious. Weiss hadn't even snipped at her partner yet. Well, less than usual anyways.