Chapter 35

Yang gasped, shooting up in her bed. She reached to tear the thing from her face, only to find that there was nothing there. She looked around frantically to see that she was no longer on the roads but back at Beacon. In one of the medical rooms, not that she spent much time there.

She panted in her bed, bringing her hand to her forehead. It came away slick with sweat. Her chest heaved as she tried to catch her breath.

The fight had exhausted her, the powers taking their toll due to repeated use, but the way it had ended.

She shuddered at the memory of the pain. Th-that thing, whatever it was, had tried to steal the power from her. That woman had tried to steal her power, along with her two allies. That one girl's semblance was especially dangerous.

It had been foolish to travel alone, she knew that, but she thought she had been powerful enough to stay safe. Honestly, who in their right mind would attack a Maiden?

Salem of course. She was an idiot to think her identity was secret, despite Ozpin's best effort. She had nearly been killed. That thing had nearly taken the Maiden powers from her. It would have succeeded were it not for her...

Her uncle.

Qrow.

Yang's eyes widened in panic as the realization hit her. Her breathing, which had finally started to calm, left her in panicked breaths.

She needed to focus. What was her name?

Yang Xiao Long.

The answer came easy to her, so she tried another.

Where was she raised?

Patch.

Again, no thought was required. She slowly made her way through everything she could think of. Her family, her friends, her team, where she trained before Beacon. Everything.

She was still herself.

Relief crashed into her, forcing her to sit back in the bed. She had thought... it didn't matter. She was still herself. As she was finally able to gain her bearings she began to take note of something else. She didn't feel any different.

She had expected the powers to be akin to getting your semblance or having your aura unlocked. Were it not for the headache and memory of the pain she would have said it was just a dream.

Sitting up, she took a deep breath and pulled her scroll out.

There was a message from Ozpin saying that he had informed her team of her current location, as well as an excuse of training with Glynda if they asked what had happened. Apparently, she had been trying to get some last minute training for the festival.

She rolled her eyes at the excuse, Weiss wouldn't buy it, or failing that, she would be furious that she had gone and gotten hurt the day before they were likely to be sent to the doubles. She made to call Ozpin but her finger hovered over the button before she closed his information and pulled up another.

The message took a moment to send but Ruby responded almost instantly. Yang smiled at the rapid messages asking if she was ok, no doubt her sister was already making her way to the nurse's office.

Yang hesitated a moment before asking her sister to find Jaune's team as well. She had to tell them something.

Her sister said she'd be there in five minutes. Yang took the time to steady her nerves for the argument she knew was coming.

It was easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

"You aren't going to stop her?" Glynda watched the screen in front of them. Said screen showed the members of team RWB and JNPR making their way to the medical wing.