Chapter 12

Jaune was many things, kind, intelligent, loyal, unfortunately one of those things was also predictable. It took no time at all for Pyrrha to find him.

She knew him, it was one of the few things she allowed herself to take pride in, that she knew her partner so well. Whenever he was feeling down or distraught, he would come to the roof where she had first started training him.

It brought a sad smile to her face to see him there now.

Jaune sat at the edge of the roof, looking out over Vale. There were still a few hours before dusk meaning the view was nothing compared to what it could be.

Pyrrha made sure to keep her distance until he noticed her presence. When he finally looked over his shoulder at her, she approached.

They sat in silence for a few moments as Pyrrha waited for him to say something, in the end he said nothing and it was up to her to start the conversation.

"Are you ready for the dance tonight?" She felt it was a good topic, one that would lead to what she really wanted to ask.

Jaune didn't look at her, nor did he seem to even hear her question for a moment. His reply was quiet, barely above a whisper. "I'm not going."

Pyrrha sighed softly but refused to leave it at that. "And why not?"

Jaune lowered his head for a moment before sighing. "It would be a bad idea."

Pyrrha waited for more but nothing came. "And why is that? This is a rare occasion, you should try to enjoy it while you can."

"I don't want to ruin the night for anyone."

Pyrrha had a reply ready in an instant declaring no such thing would occur, but she held back when she heard the tone in his voice. "Who would you ruin it for?"

Jaune looked at her for a moment before turning back to the view. "They put a lot of work into this... I'm sure it will be perfect." His voice sounded sorrowful, it didn't fit him at all and Pyrrha felt her heart shake at it.

Pyrrha paused a moment before speaking. "The shouldn't you go? If you're so sure it will be perfect, won't you regret not going?" It was sound logic, something he couldn't deny.

"Yang deserves to enjoy the evening more than I do." In the end, he didn't try to deny it. "I want to go, truly I do but..." He paused a moment. "It wouldn't be fair of me to steal that joy from Yang."

"You would put her happiness before yours?" Pyrrha couldn't hold back a sad smile when Jaune nodded his head. He was still the selfless person he had always been, the one she had fallen in love with.

She put those thoughts away, her chance for that happiness may have been gone but it wasn't for Jaune. "What happened?" She knew of course, Yang had told her the whole affair, but she needed to see Jaune's side of it.

Jaune seemed hesitant, not that Pyrrha could blame him, but eventually decided to talk.

"We were training, like we always do, except things were going well for once. It seemed like I might actually beat her, and technically I did. Ring out, just like Cardin." Pyrrha smiled at the thought and Yang's own recollection of the moment she realized the trap before her. "She grabbed me as she fell and threw me down to cushion her fall."

Jaune let loose a sigh, one filled with regret. "We sat there in silence, it felt nice... she felt nice. Before I knew it we were kissing." A slight blush came to his cheeks but he didn't stop speaking. "I don't know who started it... one moment we were sitting there the next... well..."

Pyrrha's tongue got caught in her throat. He didn't know Yang wanted that kiss just as much as he had.

"After a few moments she threw herself up on her feet." Jaune sighed once more. "The look on her face... I couldn't get to my feet fast enough."