Promises Broken

Sapphire paced her crib back at the Avengers tower. Pepper had one rushed up from the department store downtown since she couldn't go back home seeing as the apartment was now a crime scene.

Her mom had been gone for too long, and something deep inside her told her something wasn't right. But no...she had promised her...she promised she'd come back.

So she would.

The elevator doors opened and Saph caught a glimpse of red hair. Jumping up she was ecstatic to see Natasha even in the spy's beat up shape. "Mommy!" She jumped up. The team stopped chatting with Natasha and they all turned to look at the jumping baby in her new crib waiting for her mom.

Nat walked over to the baby and held her hand out to cribs edge. "Um, Saph Normani's not-" Nat stopped and wiped her tears away. Sapphire stopped jumping.

"Mommy?" She asked again, a little more confused now.

"Saph um..." Nat sniffled. "Your mommy isn't coming back." She choked out. Sapphire's face formed into little frown as her chin wiggled. "But...she promised." She started crying.

"Mommy promised she would come back...she gonna come back..."

Nat shook her head and collapsed to the floor. The other Avengers looked at the floor. "I'm sorry Saph, I couldn't save her." Sapphire let out all her tears and sadness and she cried in her crib. She would never see her mom again.

Some people just don't get happy endings...not even heroes.

Three weeks later

The air around them felt tighter as Nat walked down the green grassy path to the set of chairs that awaited them. Her black dress hugged her body as she tugged at her jacket and straightened hair. In her other arm was a crying baby Sapphire who had on a black dress and flower in her curly hair.

The pair eventually got to their seats as the rest of the guest sat as well. Sapphire sniffled as she turned her head to listen to the words of the priest. It seemed like days went by as memories flooded heads but it was only an hour or two before they were up again and Nat was walking to the white coffin.

A tear dribbled down her cheek as she kissed the white surface and dug in her pocket. "Her Saph." She said, handing her the black fabric that had a few sparkles on it. "I think your mom would want you to have this." She smiled weakly. Sapphire grabbed it from Nat's hand as she kept walking away towards the Quinjet.

The fabric still smelled faintly of coco butter and that made Saph a little more happy when she felt like her mother was there with her even if she knew she wasn't.

Looking back at the site they were just at she saw the crew lowering the casket into the ground and another crew bringing in the headstone. It would say:

NORMANI ALICE EVANS

A HERO IN THE EYES OF ALL

"THOSE WHO LIVE WILL KNOW LOVE."

A MOTHER AND A LOVER

9/18/1998

But the crew wasn't being very careful with either item. Who could blame them though, after all they were burying and empty coffin.

"Those who live have loved and those who loved shall live."