Chapter 1

A/N: This story has been posted on Archive of Our Own and only  Archive of Our Own. I am posting this on Wattpad per request of a friend. If you see this on any other website without a similar note, please alert me as this has not happened with consent from the author.

************************

Everyone in the great hall looked on in horror, some in amazement, and some in confusion as the heir to the Malfoy family chanted 'Not Slytherin' while being sorted. A quick glance at the Slytherin table would tell you how the Slytherin's felt about this.

Almost everyone expected the sorting hat to yell out Slytherin, but strangely, it didn't, it was almost like the hat paid attention to what the young Malfoy was saying, even headmaster Dumbledore seemed stumped, no one knew what was going on inside the young Malfoy's head, what he was saying, but whatever he was saying, the sorting hat was definitely listening to him.

A few people thought it was useless, he was a Malfoy, he would, of course, be in Slytherin, like so many before him.

They were wrong.

"Ravenclaw!" The hat roared.

The young Malfoy visibly relaxed, his shoulders slumped down and he let out a breath. Everyone's jaw dropped, they were all confused, a Malfoy in Ravenclaw? The older Ravenclaw's didn't even clap, except for the muggle-borns.

The new Ravenclaw got off his stool and made his way to the table, everyone was watching him, as if they expected him to start shouting and throwing a tantrum, but he didn't, instead, he sat down in his seat and politely said hello to the people around him, some even returned his greeting (the previously mentioned muggle-borns).

McGonagall was so stunned that she didn't even call out the next name until the Headmaster called out her name.

"Ron Weasley!"

No one paid attention to the Weasley boy's sorting, the only thing that did bring the great hall out of their stupor was when the name, Harry Potter was called. At least that sorting went as expected.

"Gryffindor!" The hat called out.

Potter made his way off the stool and went to sit next to his friend, the Gryffindor table took quite a long time to quiet down.

Malfoy looked over at Potter, with a slight smile and a calculating look on his face, his eyes were narrowed slightly. The great hall may have quieted down but everyone still paid attention to the young Malfoy, this was a sorting no one would forget soon, least of all Lucius Malfoy.

*****************

Harry Potter was walking down the hallway with his friend Ron Weasley when he heard some strange noises that came from across the hallway. He decided to investigate it, he ushered Ron to follow him.

He looked around the corner and saw Malfoy talking with some older students.

"No really, tell me, how does a death eater's son get into Ravenclaw, shouldn't you be in Slytherin?" An older Ravenclaw taunted.

He heard Ron snicker behind him, but he didn't find it funny, now he didn't like Malfoy's attitude at Madame Malkin's and how he had taunted Ron, but he didn't deserve to be bullied, besides, the older Ravenclaw reminded him of Dudley, he should step in, yeah, he should-

"I appreciate your opinion Davies, but the hat has spoken, are you questioning a thousand-year-old magic hat that was charmed by the founders themselves, do you find yourself a better judge of character than the brightest witch and wizards our society has known?"

The group of bullies looked stumped at that, it took a while before Davies seemed to come up with a comeback.

"Just because you're in our house doesn't change the fact that your father was a death eater, everyone knows he just paid off fudge, what do you have to say to that, Malfoy? You share the same last name as a murderer, you were raised by a murderer."