Chapter 17: Milo

"Why?"

Aurelio's voice broken and softer than I had ever heard him speak. He sounded like a ghost of the man I knew him to be.

The moment was inevitable. I had known that from the start. I expected an attack; verbal or physical. What I had not factored in was the look of contempt, pain, and disappointment. I wished that I received a warning about the raid so I could have prepared myself better to look them in the eyes.

The raid was unusual. They gave me no time to prepare and I could have made sure my neighborhood was safe from any harm.

Deandre was huffing with fury while Aurelio looked like I had dropped the world on his shoulders. I did not feel good about anything, the gun in my hands was shaking as was my unsettled mind. I should raise it at them and demand that they get on the ground, but I couldn't do that to them.

"Eaton get the damn guns," one grunt yelled. I stood there stuck. Their words were familiar but held no meaning. I looked up at Parker, who had her gun trained at Deandre. I was so fucking stupid, she said I would get too close to them and I had. It was why they gave me no forewarning about the raid. I probably scared them into thinking I'd get them out of town.

I raised my gun for half a second but couldn't bring myself to point it at Aurelio who I was in love with or at Deandre who I was developing feelings for. He was not as warm or open to me as Aurelio. As I moved passed the surface layer, I found that he was a special person. At the same time we did not have a real relationship since they had known me in disguise.

I looked back up at Parker whose eyes were dark and hard set. The men held their rifles up, ready to shoot.

This only ends with them dead

It was the only way for this to end.

We will not allow them to walk away from this since we had broken so many standards, practices, and laws to get to where we were.

"You can't just gun them down. That's murder," I said. Parkers gun dipped for a split second before she opened her mouth to speak, "I knew that you would do this. Don't make me arrest you." All of this was a huge mess.

There were bodies all over my apartment, law enforcement personnel were trying to kill instead of detain, we had backed ourselves into a corner all for Scala to seek election. If any of this got out I would be a dead man.

"Scala got you guys to increase the pickup timeline the moment I left the office didn't he?" I asked. The men I had shared a bed with both stood quietly with their hands slightly raised. Nobody knew what would happen next. This was unprecedented.

"Yes," Parker answered. Her teeth ground together after she confirmed what I thought. "You caused unnecessary deaths and for what? Capturing two men I had under control for months, they weren't going anywhere."

"I think you love them being tethered to you. You fell in love with them. Look at you, not even able to raise your gun at the people who sell the same shit your mother kills herself with. You're in love with killers," She spat. She was changing the subject.

I crinkle my nose at the hypocrisy, "What are you about to do? Huh, braid their hair. No, you want to have me take their guns away so you can shoot them till their cold and then say they tried to attack. Why don't any of you have body cameras attached to your chests?"

"Are you going to take their guns or not?" The bearded agent interjected into the conversation. He aimed his rifle at Aurelio, who snapped his head at the man's tone. I knew what I wanted to say, but the words felt like acid when I tried to speak. I trained for years to be in the position I dreamed of and with the next few words all that work would disappear into nothing.