8

It was John's third day at the new school. He had started to get to know the campus, and the classmates. Some of them were asses, some of them were just annoying, some of them were kind, most of them were odd, especially around Sherlock.

He checked his watch. It was only minutes away from school ending. He started to discreetly open his bag and put his notebook inside.

He finished packing up just as the bell rang. He jumped up and started running for the door but stopped when he saw everybody else.

"John Watson, you are dismissed by the teacher, not the bell," the teacher said. "You will stay after school for another hour."

"Hour?" John asked. "I can't do that, I-I've scheduled to go—"

"No excuses, you'll have to miss it."

John rolled his eyes and sat back down in his seat.

Once everybody left, John sat in his seat, completely silent.

"Can I just text my friend and step dad to tell them I'll be late?" John asked.

The teacher looked at John, "No."

The door to the classroom opened and Mary walked in with her bag.

The teacher turned to Mary, "You know what to do."

Mary nodded and walked over to a seat in the corner of the classroom, sitting and slumping as if she weren't in trouble for god knows what.

The three all sat at their respective desks until the hour was over.

"You may leave," the teacher said finally. He motioned towards the door.

Mary and John walked out the door and went straight towards the front of the school.

The school was designed with a pickup and drop off section of the road for parents to let their kids jump in an out of school. It was practically a teenager drive through.

John sat on a bench at the school. He pulled his phone out and texted Sherlock.

John: I got held back in class. Can't come today

Sherlock: But Jaaaaaaawn. This is the only case we've gotten since you moved here. And the only case in years for me! Pleeeeeaaase! I'm going to solve the case, I know I will!

John: last time you said that we just sat around trying to see how many teeth can be pulled out in a single hour.

Sherlock: EXACTLY! Now you're getting it!

John laughed.

"Watcha doing?" A girl asked, sitting next to John on the bench. It was Mary.

"I, uh, just texting a friend," John said as he quickly tucked his phone in his pocket.

"Cool, cool," she nodded.

John huffed. "I have to go."

"Where?"

John shrugged. "Out. I actually might be able to hang out with my friend before I have to get home."

"Oh, okay," Mary nodded. "What about homework?"

John thought for a moment. "I mean, that is a point. I wake up early in the morning, so I think I'm good."

"Can I come?" Mary asked.

John considered it. Sherlock wouldn't mind. "Yeah, sure."

"So," Mary said as they walked to where Sherlock and John were to meet. "Tell me a bit about yourself. Other than what you said in class."

"Like?"

Mary thought for a moment. "What's your sexuality?"

"Bi," John grinned. He liked saying he was bi to people, it felt good, he hated lying about being straight.

"And what's your favorite movie?" Mary asked.

"Don't have one."

"What are your hobbies?" Mary asked.

"Blogging mostly, I played the clarinet for a while, uhhh, I like board games," John said.

Mary nodded. "that's all I got."

When they got to Sherlock and John's meeting place, a small cafe, Mary turned to John.

"Your friend is Sherlock?" She asked.

John shrugged. "Yeah."

Mary glanced over at Sherlock, who still hadn't noticed the two standing at the front of the cafe.

"Jesus Christ, John," She shook her head.

John laughed. "What?"

"I just can't believe that you only just moved in, and your friends with Sherlock," Mary said. "I knew there was something unique about you."

John held back laughter. No one had ever said to him he was unique. And that was because he wasn't. He didn't run around solving mysteries, or being homicidal, or...god, this school was weird. "Nah, I'm not unique."

"Seriously," Mary said, she elbowed John. "You're cool. I gotta a go, but you can call me if you wanna talk." She handed John a paper with her phone number.

"Yeah," John nodded, tucking the paper in his pocket.

"Later," Mary waved as she walked away.

At that moment Sherlock noticed John. "John! John! Over here!"

John went to Sherlock.

~~~

John pulled out his "crush book" and added an entry.

Hi! It's me again. It's been a while. Not that you would know because a) your a notebook, and b) if you are a person you probably just spent two seconds just to flip from the last entry to this one. Anyways, so today was odd. I...think I have a girlfriend (?). So yeah. My chances with Sherlock are lower now.

John chewed on the eraser on his pencil. Was Mary his girlfriend? Was she flirting with him? Would Sherlock be jealous?

John pulled his phone out and texted the number that Mary had given him.

John: hi

Mary: hey

John: how is it?

Mary: good, you?

John: As good as it could get for me

Mary: lmao same tho

John set his phone down again.

Then he heard another notification noise from his phone.

Mary: you got time tomorrow? I need a study partner

John held his phone, hovering over the letter y. Would Sherlock mind? Probably. At least this way he wouldn't be all weird around George.

John: yeah

Mary: great! Can we meet at the library after school?

John: sure

_____________________________________

Quick a/n: don't blame me blame jaaaaaawwwn.