21

When John was nine he was dared by Mike to go downhill on the steepest hill in walking distance from home on his bike. It was a lazy sunday when John had accepted the dare. 

On the day he was wearing a white t-shirt with the logo for a band he didn't even watch, baggy jeans that he honestly didn't exactly love, mismatching adidas, and a red biker helmet. His bike was one that Harry used to ride, it was purple with some blue and pink accents. There was a 'Harry's bike' label on the left bar written in rainbow colors and order, and on the other handle 'John's bike' on a blue post-it note.

The ride downhill went mostly smoothly. Emphasis on the mostly. He went downhill easily, careful not to pedal, steering away from big rocks and things, etc. But when he turned to see what Mike was doing when he heard a sound like tumbling (turned out Mike had brought a box full of bouncy balls and he'd dropped it), he crashed into a tree.

This feeling now, being caught in the act of going to a dance, was like that. He felt great and almost high before he crashed. And boy did he crash.

(a/n sorry if this was short, it was going to be longer, but I'm tired and lazy and really hungry for some reason and yeah Imma post pone the next chapter until tomorrow, which it technically is right now because it's 12:01pm where I live but whatever)