22

To recap: they were screwed.

That is truly all I must tell you. They're super screwed.

"Shit..." John muttered under his breath. He began to turn around, perhaps in hopes to go to the "woods" (from when they confronted Jim). 

Of course Sherlock stopped him.

"Maybe we can reason with your dad?" Sherlock asked.

"No you don't understand he's impossible," John whined.

"Well, I dunno my dads are pretty good at persuading people," Mary shrugged.

"So are mine," Sherlock agreed.

"And mine," Clara also agreed.

"What's happening?" Jay asked.

"Your parents won't convince him," Harry denied, apparently ignoring poor Jay's confusion.

She was right, they couldn't convince him.

~~~

A few days later

"I hate this," John stated sitting with Mary at lunch.

"Yeah, it sucks," Mary agreed, "sucks a bunch."

Somehow John's stepdad had managed to convince the school to move Sherlock and John's classes and times for lunch apart. It sucked, as John had very correctly put it.

"I miss him," John said, pushing his food away from himself, to distracted to eat.

"I do to," Mary sighed. "Can you text him?"

"Yeah, but I have a 'text allowance' now, means I can only send a thousand texts," John shrugged.

"Oh okay," Mary said.

"Trust me, it's a lot less than it sounds," John said, pulling a notebook out of his backpack. He flipped through a few pages and started scribbling on the page.

~~~

a few months later

S: happy summer I guess

-SH

J: yeah, u have any plans?

S: going to visit Mycroft's school

-SH

J: sounds fun, I suppose he's gonna spend less time at home then

S: Yes, he's moving into a dorm with Lestrade

- SH

J: Isn't it Greg?

S: Greg? Greg who?

- SH

J:  never mind

John grinned and set down his phone. It was going to be a long summer without Sherlock. He was probably going to spend most of it saving money up for whatever book or comic he could get his hands on and drafting letters to Sherlock that he probably wasn't going to send. He never realized how much of his life had gotten consumed by being with Sherlock until he couldn't be with him anymore.

~~~

a few years later

John flipped his laptop open and checked his phone.

2:28

Two minutes.

The two minutes felt like eternity until he could finally see Sherlock.

Finally, Sherlock logged on to the call.

"Sherlock!" John grinned.

"Hey John," Sherlock smiled. For a moment it seemed odd for Sherlock to be smiling, John hadn't seen him smile in years, the only time they'd seen each other was on social media, and even then, neither of them really posted pictures of themselves (and Sherlock never smiled in pictures. John would've found it slightly unsettling  if he'd seen a post for a birthday party with a frowning man if he hadn't known Sherlock before hand).

"I see you got a haircut," John commented.

"Yes, Greg did it," Sherlock said, reaching a hand up to pat his own head.

"You remembered his name?!"

"Hm? Oh yes, it's becoming easier now that he's practically family. I still forget it sometimes," Sherlock said. "What did I just call him?"

"Greg."

"Who?"

"Whatever," John scoffed, "I like your hair anyways, it's very fluffy."

"I thought more like curly, but okay," Sherlock shrugged.

"You know I missed you," John said.

"I missed you to," Sherlock said, "Especially since school's been insufferable."

"I feel ya," John said.

Sherlock hesitated. "Have you...have you considered us meeting up?"

"We don't live all that closely, do we? I mean, your in Scotland, yeah? And I'm still in England," John said, looking down to his fiddling hands.

Sherlock checked some papers off screen. "I have winter break on the seventh, you?"

"Fourteenth."

"When does it end?"

John thought for a moment. "Uh...February ninth I think. You?"

"January twenty eighth," Sherlock said, "So we should be able to arrange something, right?"

"Yeah, uh, maybe December twenty ninth?" John suggested.

"I'm spending Christmas with family."

"Yeah that's what I thought, can you do it four days later?"

"Maybe. If I explain the situation I can get out of being with them for Christmas early. I'll check," Sherlock pulled his phone out and started texting the family group chat.

A solid second passed before Sherlock said, "I can make it."

"Okay so order the plane tickets now, and we'll meet, er, at the old school?"

"Alright. Love you."

John nodded, "Love you too."

___________________________

a/n you have to read the epilogue to find out what happens >:D. It'll come out soon probably. School started for me so not very soon, BUT I am on a writing kick so I'll write the epilogue as soon as I can. I LOVE YOU ALL I LOVE YOU ALL OKAY BAIIIII!!!!