10

Eating at the lunch table now always includes Mary. And now, Sherlock losing interest more often, also Sherlock's notebook in which he wrote about every case that they had.

"Sherlock," John said.

"Mhm," Sherlock hummed in response.

"Sherlock, you seem a tad more....distant than usual..." John commented.

Sherlock glanced briefly from the page he was doodling Redbeard on. "I never understood that term, distant, I'm not physically away from you."

"Well... mentally you seem more distant," John said. "Why?"

"Case," Sherlock said.

"Case..." John muttered, "Which....which case are we on again?"

"Shoes...." Sherlock mumbled, "Shoes and bombs."

"Oh. Oh! Yeah that one," John nodded, "I remember now!"

"John," Sherlock said, "Now you can't say no, alright? We have to go out to the waterfall tonight. Got it?"

"Waterfall, you mean the yard high one? In the woods?" John asked.

"Yes, we're going to go greet the killer," Sherlock said.

"Kind of an exaggeration to say killer, isn't it? I mean, he didn't actually kill anyone did he?" John asked.

Sherlock rolled his eyes, "Fine, sure, so he wasn't a killer, but he is an attempted killer."

"Right," John said, "Have you ever actually thought about if it's legal for teenagers to try and solve murders?"

"I am completely unconscious of the law," Sherlock said, "Besides, we're doing a favor to...the community."

John huffed, "Fine. When are we meeting the criminal?"

"Tonight, at five," Sherlock said.

~~~

Where John and Sherlock lived, there was an abandoned house, and behind that abandoned house was what small children called the jungle, and what teenagers called the woods. It was full of trees, just like a forest, and at the center there was a lake, which led to a waterfall, which had a yard long fall.

"Are you ready John?" Sherlock asked as John trudged towards him. They stood in front of the woods, holding torches and makeshift weapons for protection. Sherlock, a kitchen knife, and John, a nerf gun.

"Yeah, ready as ever," John said. He said it as if he didn't believe it.

"Alright, let's go," Sherlock nodded.

They set out into the woods, Sherlock every once in a while taking notes of footprints in mud.

After an hour, they reached the well known waterfall. The waterfall was a well known spot in the woods. It's been known to have been a war zone during multiple paintball, nerf, laser tag, and capture the flag wars. It was also known for it's population of drug dealers and couples who thought it was romantic.

That night though, there weren't any ten year olds with weapons fighting, or drug dealers handing out drugs, or even romantic couples. That night it seemed as if everyone knew that the waterfall was going to be a dangerous place.

The two crouched behind a tree, waiting for the criminal.

"He'll come soon," Sherlock whispered.

"Shouldn't he be here already?" John whispered back.

They could see a dark figure briefly running through the forest. Something told them that the gun wasn't one of a ten year old's play fights.

"Get your weapon ready," Sherlock instructed John, adjusting the knife in his hand.

"I have a nerf gun!" John whispered.

The two laughed despite the situation.

"Alright, get your...nerf gun ready then," Sherlock said.

"Get your...kitchen knife ready—" John was cut off by a hand clamping over his mouth.

The hand wasn't Sherlock's.

"Sherlock! Sherlock!" John's yells came out muffled.

Sherlock quickly shone his torch on the attackers face.

"Well shit, Jim. I knew you were crazy but not this crazy..." Sherlock said, somehow making the situation less climatic.

"Hey, I find 'crazy' just a little offensive."

"C'mon, just....what do you want from us?" Sherlock said, almost helplessly.

"Don't tell the authorities, and I'll let your boyfriend go," Jim replied.

Sherlock smiled, "Right, deal." He held out a hand.

The hand not covering John's mouth shook Sherlock's.

"Deal," and the hand that was once covering John's mouth fell.

John scrambled away, crawling on his knees. Sherlock offered a hand for him to help him up. John took it and let Sherlock pull him up.

"Well," Jim said, turning on his heel. "Buh-Bye!"

"Are you alright?" Sherlock asked.

"Yeah, fine," John nodded. "You?"

"Uumm...yeah," Sherlock nodded.

"We better head back before our parent's get suspicious, right?" John said.

"I .... I told my parents I was going on a sleepover at your place," Sherlock said. "I think if I went home they'd be suspicious."

John thought for a moment. "How's about you go and grab what you need for a sleepover, and we'll actually have a sleepover."

~~~

Sherlock clambered on the tree next to his bedroom window.

"Maybe your coat is weighing you down," John suggested from the bottom of the tree.

"Right," Sherlock said, he pulled his coat off and threw it down to John. It landed on John's face before sliding off.

Sherlock climbed into his room and grabbed a bag of essentials. He swiftly jumped out the window, closing it gently from his perch on the tree branch. He climbed all the way back down the tree and smiled at John.

"Alright, let's go," John whispered, and they ran all the way to John's house.