9. Secrets Told

Hey guys! There are certain parts of this which I would recommend enjoying immensely. I was very happy to write them.
=========================

Alex's POV

At 5:00 the next morning, Alex was sitting at his desk quietly while John slept a few feet away. In front of him sat a piece of notebook paper and a pen. There were only three words written on the paper, due to Alex not knowing how to voice his thoughts.

My dearest, John,

He knew exactly what he wanted to say, he just didn't know how to say it.

He wanted to tell John how he made him feel safe, happy, and nervous all at the same time. He wanted to tell him how he wants to feel that way all the time. He wanted to tell him how he's too scared to reach for what he wants at the risk of losing what he already has.

That's why he was sitting there trying and failing to write him a letter. Alex sighed and placed his head in his hands. He would give the letter another attempt later.

"What are you doing awake?" yawned John from the bed, sitting up slightly.

Nothing, Alex signed. John could barely make out his hand movements through the dim light of his lamp.

"Come back to sleep," whined John, patting the space next to him tiredly. Alex carefully tucked the letter under a nearby book and walked over to the bed, laying down with his friend.

John was already snoring softly, causing a small smile to make its way onto Alex's face.

——————timeskip——————

"Where were y'all yesterday?" Herc asked, finding them in the hall. Alex looked to John with an unspoken question and John shook his head ever so slightly.

We took the day off and went to the carnival, smiled Alex.

"Lucky," Peggy pouted from next to them with Laff.

"You never told us why John had to beat Burr up," Laff pointed out looking at them curiously.

"Burr was hitting him," John muttered with a dark look causing the others to gasp slightly with shock. Alex placed his hand on John's arm to calm him, causing Peggy to smile.

"So," she beamed, "Now that Burrs out of the picture, are you two finally going to become a thing?" John and Alex both blushed bright red and started sputtering small protests.

They all laughed, not knowing that Lee was just a few feet away and he was not happy.

—————babytimeskip—————

By the end of first period, the halls were abuzz and everybody was avoiding Alex. Lee, Jefferson, and Madison stood at the end of the hall laughing and stealing glances at him every few seconds. A feeling of dread settled in his stomach as he realized what happened.

Lee had told his secret. Lee had won.

John must've noticed Alex shaking because he frowned and began to steer him towards the bathroom but was stopped by a nearby teacher. "Mr. Laurens!" she called, "May I speak with you for a moment?"

John gave Alex an apologetic look before reluctantly heading off towards her. Lee smiled at the sight of Alex standing alone and walked over to him with his friends trailing behind him. Alex shuddered slightly, knowing that this wouldn't end well.

"Have you noticed how everyone's avoiding you?" smiled Lee, "I let them in on our little secret!" A tear slipped from Alex's eye and Lee's smile grew.

"Everybody now knows how you could've stopped your cousin from killing himself by simply saying a few words to him, but chose not to. You could've saved him, Hamilton, but instead you let him die."

Alex shook his head tearfully. That's not what I wanted, he thought.

"You're a sick human being and now everybody knows it. That's why they're choosing to keep their distance. They don't want to be near a murderer." Suddenly, Lee stopped talking as he was punched in the jaw by a furious Peggy.

He stumbled back, holding his jaw and then moved forward as if to hit her. He was once again stopped, this time by a fuming Hercules.

"First of all, I don't know who the hell you think you are talking to my friend like that! Second of all, do you honestly think that you could get away with hitting one of my friends?!" Herc yelled, pushing Lee against the wall in fury and giving him a bruise on his eye to match the one that Peggy gave him.

Alex saw John come back down the hall and attempt to help out Herc, but Laff held him back. "No, mon ami," Laff told him, "Herc doesn't need any help, and you don't need to get in any more trouble."

Lee tried punching Herc but was unable to do much damage to the much bigger man in front of him, only earning himself a punch in the gut. Jefferson and Madison did the smart thing and chose to stay out of it.

Herc raised his fist to punch Lee again and Lee did the same, both boys glaring fiercely at each other. "What is the meaning of this?!" yelled Washington, stepping out from inside his classroom.

"Hercules, Lee! Meet me inside!" he ordered pointing to his classroom angrily. Herc let Lee off of the wall, pushing him slightly towards the room. As soon as they were out of view, the large crowd that had grown during the fight dispersed.

"Are you okay, Lex?" John asked rushing over to Alex.

I'm fine, Alex signed. He wasn't exactly fine, but he was feeling slightly encouraged by the way Herc stood up for him. Obviously Lee had to be wrong. Not everybody hated him.

——————timeskip——————

Later that day John sat on their bed playing with Alex's phone. "I know that today wasn't that great," he said to his friend, "but tomorrow's Peggys birthday and she wants us to go swimming at her place if you're up for it?"

Sure, Alex smiled from his desk, taking his letter from that morning and crumpling it before tossing it in the trash.

What was I thinking trying to write him a letter? he thought, I'll just tell him how I feel. Eventually.

=========================
4/9/2020

It sure did feel good to bruise Lee up a bit, though he deserved worse.

QOTD: If you had the chance to have a go at Lee and/or Burr, what would you do or say to them?

Thanks for reading!-SunkissedChild5