11. The Name

Hey guys! I think that I'm officially Hamilton obsessed so... yeah. Please check out my time travel Hamilton fic 'What We Know'! Enjoy!
=========================

John's POV

"Alex, when I pulled you out of the pool, you kept whispering about a 'James'. Who's James?" John asked, looking at his friend with concern.

Alex seemed taken aback. His eyes widened and lips parted slightly in shock. I don't know what you're talking about, he signed, hands shaking ever so slightly.

John pulled the smaller boy closer to him and wrapped the blanket comfortably around them. He could tell that Alex was about to break down.

Very slowly, Alex began to cry into his shirt. John held him close, whispering soothing words into his ear and rubbing his back as he cried.

"Un, deux, trois, quatre, cinq, six, sept, huit, neuf," he sang softly, "Un, deux, trois, quatre, cinq, six, sept, huit, neuf."

Alex was clutching onto him tightly with his head buried in his chest as his body racked with sobs. Johns's heart was breaking for the smaller boy and he found himself crying at the sight in front of him.

Eventually, Alex was able to calm his sobs for the most part and he looked up at John with pain filled eyes. James was my brother, he signed tearfully. Johns's heart broke a little more at the use of the word 'was'.

"What happened to him?" John said softly.

When I had just turned seventeen, a hurricane destroyed my town in the Caribbean. He drowned, Alex signed, a few more tears escaping from his eyes, only to be wiped away by John.

"What else, Lex?" John whispered, "I can tell that there's more."

When I was ten, my father walked out on us for good. He was abusive. Then when I was twelve my mother and I got deathly sick. She died. A few months ago I moved in with my cousin, Peter. He hung himself. As he signed, it became more and more difficult for John to understand him due to how badly he was shaking.

John kissed him gently on the forehead and held him closer, tucking Alex's head under his chin. "Ever since I came out to my father when I was eleven, he's beaten me to some degree on a daily basis," John sighed.

John could feel the tears pooling in his eyes and went to go wipe them away, not wanting to look weak in front of Alex, only to have his hand stopped by the smaller boy. Alex grabbed his hand and held it gently giving him a tentative smile.

Both boys went to sleep that night feeling calmer and safer than they had in a long time.

——————timeskip———————

Alex's POV

Alex woke up to the quiet sound of giggling coming from the bedroom door. He opened his eyes to see Washington standing in the doorway with his wife taking pictures of John and Alex.

Washington saw that he was awake and dashed off down the laughing goofily. Alex's eyes widened in surprise and he jumped out of bed and raced after him, closely followed by a confused John.

They chased him all the way down the hall and out the backdoor while Mrs. Washington heated up some popcorn. Alex was determined to get those pictures deleted.

Washington decided to run out the back gate and down the street, where the 41 year old man was eventually tackled by a still very confused John.

"Why are we doing this?!" John yelled, sitting on the mans back. Alex snatches Washington's phone and quickly flashed him the pictures. He went to delete them, but John began to frantically sign at him.

No! Don't delete them! I want them! John signed, giving Alex his best puppy dog eyes. Alex was too shocked at the fact that he had just signed something at him for once to argue back.

Fine, he relented.

Both boys shared a look of determination before sprinting off back towards the house with Washington's phone. "Sorry, sir!" John yelled to the man chasing them.

Needless to say, they got many weird looks from the neighbors.

The boys dashed inside the house and ran into the nearest bedroom and hid in the closet. A few seconds later they heard Washington enter the room panting and out of breath followed by the calm footsteps of his wife.

"Can I have my phone back?" Washington panted from outside the closet door.

"Sure! One moment!" John chirped, quickly sending the photos to Alex's phone since his own was broken. He then deleted the pictures off of Washington's phone before turning to Alex.

Should we give him the phone back? John asked Alex.

Nah. He'll just end up taking more pictures, Alex answered, shaking his head with a smile.

"Come out of the closet boys!" called Mrs. Washington calmly.

"Were gay!" John stalled, causing both boys to fight not to laugh.

"Not that way, dear, but thanks for admitting it!" she joked. Alex and John both blushed terribly, glad that the adults standing on the other side of the door couldn't them.

"My phone?" Washington whined.

"You have to promise not to take any more pictures of us!" John smiled, causing the man to groan in protest.

Then they heard a loud 'Ow!' and Washington relented. "Okay, okay! I won't take any more pictures of y'all," he sighed.

John opened the closet door and handed the phone to a pouting Washington before walking over to Mrs. Washington who was leaning against the doorframe, snacking on a bowl of popcorn. John grabbed a handful of popcorn before leaving the room to go freshen up, followed by Mrs. Washington.

"Geez, y'all can run!" smiled Washington, patting Alex on the back proudly.

Thanks, dad, Alex signed with a smile, before realizing what he said. Washington realized it too because his jaw fell open in shock as he stared at the small boy in front of him.

"Y-You called me D-Dad," he stammered, causing Alex to flush red in embarrassment. Suddenly, the man's face broke into a wide grin.

"HE CALLED ME DAD!" he yelled, racing out of the room after his wife. Alex shook his head tiredly before walking to his room and laying down at his bed. A notification on his phone caught his eye.

(1 New Message From 'WashingDAD')

=========================4/12/2020

4/12/2020

That was honestly so much fun to write. I hope y'all enjoyed! And OH MY GOSH U GUYS! 1K VIEWS!!!

QOTD: Who would you be in the picture situation?

Thanks for reading! -SunkissedChild5