Chapter 2

Naomi had come home early that day, wanting to surprise her girlfriend with a romantic night in. It had been a rough two weeks, as Emily had lost her job and was struggling to try and find another place of employment. The blonde tried to comfort her girlfriend but Emily only pulled away and tried to keep to herself. Naomi was hurt, naturally, but tried to keep her emotions at bay as she became desperate to get their relationship back to normal.

The tall blonde unlocked the latch to their flat and made her way inside singing, "Emilyyy! Helloo?" while holding a bouquet of roses and some bags full of food items. Naomi nudged the door closed with her hip and entered into the kitchen, dropping the bags onto the counter and hanging up her keys on the hook. With a small grin on her face, she opened the bedroom door with a small click and looked around.

Confused, she turned back and opened the bathroom door to find it as empty as the rest of the flat. Naomi frowned and walked back to the kitchen and found a vase to put the flowers in. After those were arranged properly, Naomi looked along the counter.

"Maybe she's left a note or something," she said softly to herself.

When her eyes found nothing, she became a bit frantic, walking through the flat again, searching for some sort of clue. Her eyes picked up on Emily's coats missing from the rack and fear shot through her spine. Maybe I'm overreacting, she thought to herself. The blonde ran back to the room and wrenched open the drawers to the dressing table to find them empty. She bolted to the closet, opening up the door to find half of the hangers without clothing.

Naomi sank to the ground, trying to persuade herself that Emily hadn't left. She couldn't have. They'd been together for nearly three years now. It doesn't work that way. She can't just up and leave. Not now. Not like this.

The blonde pulled her knees to her chest and sobbed until sleep overcame her and she dropped into a dreamless slumber.

//

She awoke hours later in the dark. Her throat felt raw and she felt like her head was filled with cotton. Naomi glanced around squinting as her eyes slowly adjusted to the dark room. She glanced up to see the closet still open and the pain hit her again. Harder perhaps. She groaned and managed to lift herself up, pulling her arms across her chest to keep herself together. Something pulled at her heart as she closed the door and drawers. Her eyes filled with fresh tears as the realization hit her that Emily hadn't come back at all. Naomi glanced at the table next to her bed and the digital numbers read out 2:13 am.

She bit her lip and walked out to the living area of the flat. Her hand found the switch on the wall and she flicked it upwards. She could now see the full effect that Emily's departure had. There were small places where her items had once sat, scattered throughout the room. The blonde peered into the kitchen and saw the bags still on the counter and the roses in the vase. It was as if she'd been slapped in the face. A bandaid being ripped off. The leftover sting of Emily leaving had been felt all over her body, but mostly in her heart.

A faint beeping noise came from the bedroom and Naomi turned towards the noise, completely unenthusiastic. She couldn't help her lack of motivation. Emily was gone and Naomi's world was turned sideways. When Naomi picked up the phone, she only saw that she had a missed call from her mum.

She sighed and lay on her bed, covering her eyes and pinching the bridge of her nose with her thumb and index finger.

"What the fuck am I to do now?" she whispered, dropping her arms to her side.

The blonde glanced at the clock again. 2:16 am.

"For fuck's sake," she groaned and got up and headed for the bathroom.

Naomi slipped off her clothing silently and adjusted the water. She pulled back the curtain and stepped in, letting the warm water relax her muscles. She sighed and leaned her head against the cool tiles and let the water splash over her. The blonde slowly let the tears fall and once the hot water emptied, she wrapped a towel around herself and got out. As she dried off, she felt a pang of guilt, thinking perhaps the reason Emily left was because she pushed her to let her be comforted by Naomi.

She shook her head and pulled on an old t-shirt and a clean pair of knickers and crawled under the covers until sleep took over again.

//

A few days passed without any word from Emily. The more time passed, the less she got out of bed. Cook had called a few times but she never answered. She only wanted to talk to Emily and the longer she went without her voice, the more the cracks in her heart seemed to deepen. It had been a week since Emily left and all Naomi had done was manage to find one of Emily's old shirts under the bed and cuddle with it and eat the ice cream she found in the back of the freezer and the garibaldi's that were in the cupboard. Naomi had no real appetite and she fought to keep the only food she managed to consume down.

A knock on the door startled Naomi as it resonated throughout the empty flat. She pushed herself up and looked through the peep hole.

"Come on Blondie, let me in!" Cook yelled as he banged on the door again.

Naomi unlatched the door and opened it, "Yes?"

"Where the fuck you been, love? You and Emilio ain't answerin' my calls," Cook says scratching the back of his head.

She flinches at his nickname for Emily and he instantly notices. He pushes open the door gently and pulls the weak blonde into his arms. "What happened?" he asks softly.

Naomi just shakes her head and breaks down for the third time that day and allows her best friend to try and comfort her.