Chapter 4

It took a while, but eventually, Cook was able to persuade Naomi to tell him what had happened. He made her some tea and sent her to go take a shower while he cleaned up around the flat. He took out the trash and wiped down the counters, changing the sheets on her bed and throwing them in the wash before fitting on clean ones.  He did his best to dust the shelves and readjust the pillows on the couch.

Naomi walked out to find Cook moving around the pillows. She smirked a little and put a hand on her hip, waiting for him to notice he’d been caught. He saw her out of the corner of his eye and beamed at her.

“Lookin’ loads better, Naomikins,” he said excited.

“Ah, looks can be deceiving,” the blonde replied as she ran a towel through her hair. “Busy out here?”

“Oh, ya know, jus’.. tryin’ to be useful,” Cook says smiling again.

“Oh. Well.. thanks. You didn’t have to,” Naomi stutters out.

“Say no more, already done,” he says, reaching into his pocket to pull out a pack of fags. He extends the pack out to her as he puts one between his lips.

“No thanks,” Naomi smiles sheepishly. “Not allowed to smoke in here anyhow.”

“Care for a walk then, Blondie? You should get out some,” Cook replied as replaced the pack into his pocket. Naomi looked a bit uncomfortable so he grabbed a jumper off the coat hook and slid it over her head. “Good, yea?” he asked with a smirk. He grabbed the blonde’s hand and walked them out of the flat and down outside.

//

They walked for a bit as Cook chain smoked a few fags. He tried his best to make the girl smile and laugh, and she did, a little. But Naomi saw continuous flashes of red wherever they were. It was the end of September and the new month was right around the corner. October had always been her favourite month. She loved watching the leaves change colour and being in the midst of transition.

Perhaps this was her own transition month. She let out a shaky breath and looked around her. There was shops all around and everyone seemed to be busy. The blonde let her mind wander, wondering where Emily could be. Her chest started to ache more as the memories of the girl played out in her mind. She missed her, more than she knew she was capable of.

“Come back to me,” she heard Cook whisper, pulling her out of her reverie. He gave her a small grin and put his arm around her shoulder. “So what do you want to do today?”

“I’m not really in the mood to-“

“Nonsense. You need cheerin’ up Blondie. Come on, tell the Cookie Monster what you want. My treat,” he said giving her puppy dog eyes. Emily’s face slammed into her like a brick wall; the brown-eyed girl had always gotten her way by using that same expression.

Naomi crossed her arms, trying to hold herself together again. She felt like she was being ripped apart at the seams and all she could do was feel it. “Uhm, I dunno. Anything, I guess,” she responded quietly.

Cook sighed and led her towards a bench. “Come on Naomikins. You gotta let me cheer you up some, yea?”

“Cook,” she mumbled. “I just.. can’t. I feel like I’m being pulled apart and there’s nothing I can do to stop it. It fucking hurts.”

He could see the tears in her eyes and it hurt him. He knew it was nothing to what she was feeling, though. He didn’t understand how someone could just up and leave this girl. Naomi was ace; she was everything anybody could ever hope for. He despised Emily for letting go of such a great thing.

“I’ve got it!” Cook exclaims standing up and pulling Naomi up with him.

He grabs her hand and pulls her away towards the shops, weaving in and out of the crowd.

“Cook, where are we going?” Naomi asks, trying to keep and attempting to not hit people in his haste.

“Just wait and see Blondie. Just wait and see.”

//

“You made my life, Holly. But I'm just one chapter in yours. There'll be more. I promise. So here it comes, the big one. Don't be afraid to fall in love again. Watch out for that signal, when life as you know it ends. P.S. I will always love you.”

“Damnit Cook, you know how much I fucking hate clichés; why would you make me watch this?!” Naomi yells as she wipes away her tears with a tissue paper.

“Isn’t this what girls need? Chick flick nights or whatever?” He replies trying to slyly wipe away a stray tear coming out of the corner of his eye.

“James Cook, are you crying?” Naomi asks surprised.

“What? Of course not, what do you think I’m some pussy,” Cook chuckles turning away.

“Look at me,” Naomi laughs while grabbing his face turning it towards him. “Oh my god, you are! James Cook, crying during a sappy film,” she says before bursting out laughing.

They laugh for what seems like forever and Naomi clutches her side, trying to gasp for air. “Oh my god,  Cook, you’re such a jerk. I haven’t laughed like this in forever,” she tells him as she wipes the tears that have formed from the excessive laughter.

“That was kinda the point of all of this,” Cook replies with a grin.

“Thank you,” Naomi says with a genuine smile. It’s been far too long since she’s felt sincerely happy.

“Come ‘ere, you,” Cook says as he puts his arm around the blonde, pulling her into his side.

They settle in and continue watching the film. Soon after, Naomi falls asleep and for the first time, she feels peaceful. She doesn’t dream of the redhead. She doesn’t dream at all. And when she awakes, she feels well rested, like she can take on whatever challenges the day throws at her.