Chapter 5

The light was blurry and she could make out faint noises around her. She reached up to rub her eyes but she was stopped with a slight tug. Confused she looked around and saw the pale blue colour of the wall. Groggily, she closed her eyes again and tried to sink back into the pillow. It wasn't until she heard the soft call of her name that she tried to focus her attention again. She felt a palm against her cheek and she leaned into it, relishing the affectionate gesture. Slowly she opened her eyes again but her vision was still fuzzy around the edges. She saw a smudge of bright yellow, almost white and her heartbeat picked up. Naomi, she thought. The machine next to her gave her away as the low, quiet beeps suddenly picked up. She took in a deep breath, trying to calm racing nerves and tried to blink away the fuzz.

It took about thirty seconds before she realized where she was. She was lying in a hospital bed with an itchy blanket draped over her. It took about another ten seconds to realize it was her mum that still had her palm against the redhead's cheek.

"Emily, darling. How are you feeling?" Jenna asked softly.

Emily pulled away slightly from her hand before quietly replying, "Fine."
Her voice was hoarse from the drugs in her system and her throat felt dry and scratchy.

"What time is it?" she questioned as she turned, hoping there was a glass of water or some other beverage next to the bed.

Jenna looked at her watch and answered, "Nearly half of three. You've been out of surgery for a while." With a fake looking smile, she sat down on the chair besides Emily's bed.

Emily groaned when she couldn't find any liquid to quench her aching throat. She dropped her head back into the pillows and glanced towards her mother. "Do you think you could get me some water, Mum?" the redhead asked.

"Oh, of course, Emily dear. I'll be right back," the elder Fitch replies before standing, straightening her skirt, and leaving the room.

Emily closed her eyes again and she felt like she was floating. She felt as light as a feather, just lying there in the light blue room, but with an uncomfortable blanket covering her. The redhead was relaxed and settling into the comfortable pillows behind her. She started to feel a throbbing sensation in her left arm but she tried to ignore it. She was having too much fun being a light feather. The aching started to hurt more and realized it was her left elbow that was hurting.

"Fucking hell," she mumbled as she heard footsteps approaching her bedside. "Mum? Oh!"

A nurse had appeared at her bedside and was smiling down at her. "Hello there, Miss Fitch."

She was beautiful. She had brown hair that fell just past her shoulder and gorgeous hazel eyes. Emily could even see the light freckles on her face. Surprisingly, she had a lip piercing although Emily was sure those weren't supposed to be allowed. Emily watched as the nurse's expression turned into a questioning one and Emily knew she had just been caught staring at the woman.

"Emily," the redhead felt a blush creep across her face, "call me Emily."

"Well Emily," the woman smiled at her, "it's time for another pill. I'm Jordyn by the way."

"Hi Jordyn," Emily replied whilst biting her lip gently. "What pill might that be?"

"Your pain killer," Jordyn said laughing and holding out a small white pill with a glass of water.

Emily took the pill and downed the whole glass of water, instantly feeling much better and the pain in her throat easing slightly. Jordyn simply smiled at the redhead and waited for her to hand back the cup.

"Are you always that thirsty?" the nurse teased with chuckle, her eyes sparkling.

"Only when my mouth goes dry. Which is usually when I see a gorgeous girl around," Emily says with a light tone, flashing a smile at the young woman. She sees the girl blush and turn slightly, depositing the paper cup into the waste bin and wash her hands at the sink.