Chapter 3

Emily walked out of the doctor’s office and shoved the file of papers into her bag. The surgery had been set up for the following Thursday meaning she had to endure the pain for another five days. She hailed a taxi and watched the buildings blur by. Of course she’d thought about Naomi before and she still regretted that she left the way she did. The redhead had tried to go back and find her to apologize and hopefully work things out but when she went back to Bristol a month later, the flat was already occupied by a new tenant. So, with no real plan, Emily made her way back to London.

She had been living with Katie since she ran out on Naomi. Emily fled to her flat that day and hadn’t really left so it became assumed that she was living there as well. Katie was smug when she discovered that her twin had left that bitch of a blonde. Naomi deserved it. She cheated on Emily in college and broke her heart first.

The taxi pulled up to the block of flats and Emily thanked him and handed him a few notes. She stepped out of the car and made her way up to their flat, wincing when she accidentally hit her elbow on the way up to the third floor.

“How was it?” Katie shouted from the kitchen when she heard the door click shut from Emily’s arrival.

“I need surgery,” Emily replied sheepishly. “It’s for next Thursday,” she stated as she grabbed an apple from the counter with her good hand.

“Thursday? Why didn’t you say something sooner bitch? I’m leaving on Tuesday to go and set up a deal with some clients,” her twin replied angrily before taking a bite of her salad.

Emily rolled her eyes, “Well how was I supposed to know? I need to you here to take care of me. Doctor asked specifically”

“Well I can’t. You’re going to need to find someone else. Cause I can’t. I’m gone for the whole week.”

“That’s just great Katie. Cause I know so many people who live in London,” the younger twin said moving onto the couch in the living area.

“Whatever. Why don’t you go stay with mum? I’m sure she’d just love to have one of us back in the house,” Katie snickered into her salad.

“Fuck off,” Emily replied laughing.

//

“Ugh, Katie, I can’t believe you were actually being serious!” Emily groaned after being told that her trip to Bristol after her surgery had been squared away.

“Of course I was! I’m not going to be here and you said that the doctor said you needed to be looked after. So stop being such a whiny bitch and be happy I even did this for you,” the older twin replied as she sat across the table from her sister at a restaurant.

“You didn’t even ask be about it. I probably could’ve found some stranger to take care of me,” the redhead mumbled as she fiddled with the straw in her glass of water.

“Whatever. You’re having your surgery and then mum is taking you home and you’re staying there until you’re better or until I’m back,” Katie replied focusing on the menu in front of her.

“But Katie-“

“For fuck’s sake Ems, shut up and figure out what you’re going to eat,” Katie snapped, clearly annoyed.

Emily mumbled, “Fucking cow,” under her breath as she picked up the list and scanned over it.

It was going to be a long week without Katie. She had hardly seen her mum since she left after college and moved in with Naomi after they resolved their relationship. She’d come around slightly to the fact that she was gay but still tried to pressure her into dating, “a nice boy like JJ.” Emily loved her mum but she was so controlling and just a bitch when she didn’t get her way. Hopefully, she’d be knocked out on pain pills and not have to deal with her so much.

The sisters ordered their meals and they ate and had small talk. Katie was excited for her trip and was hoping she’d be able to make the deal with her clients. Her and mum had still managed to keep the wedding planning business although their dad had lost the gym a few years back. He was slowly starting to rebuild the company though, even trying to pull James into working with him. Mum dealt with the business in and around Bristol and Katie handled in and around London. It worked, for the most part, and they were both happy to be doing something together while Katie enjoyed the aspect of being independent from her hovering mum.

They finished their meal and left, walking down the road back towards their flat. The weather was shit and it started to get darker although it was only two in the afternoon. A storm was on its way again and they had to hurry to get back before the rain started.

“Well, I’m exhausted,” Katie said once they stepped inside the flat.

“What? You’ve hardly even done anything today; how the fuck are you tired?” Emily asked angrily.

Katie glanced at her watch quickly before replying, “I have to leave tomorrow and I need to rest.”

Emily’s eyes widened. “Katie! You didn’t!”

Katie gave a shy smile and ran to her room and locked it when Emily heard a buzzing and groaned. She looked out the window and sure enough, their mum was standing at the gate with bags in her hands.