CHAPTER SEVEN

Chapter 7:

JUWARIYA

He looked at me and said "I wished I had hit you, you fucking terrorist! You fucking deserve to die!"

I was shocked to hear those words come out of his mouth.
I was still in his arms and I started tearing up. "What did I ever do to make you hate me?" I said trying not to cry.

We made eye contact for a few minutes and I could see how hurt and disturbed he was, however, I can't be the reason for it. I pulled away from him and ran off.

I couldn't stop thinking about what he said to me. I was a bit worried about him. That guy needs serious help.

*********

The next day at school, I was hoping to see Kevin but he didn't show up and I was very concerned. It's as if time was moving very slowly.

Finally, my lectures for the day were over. As I started packing up my things, Ahmad walked over to me as usual.

"Alsalamu Alaikum." He said with a smile on his face.

"Walaikum alsalam," I replied.

"I have been wanting to talk to you about the project," I added.

"Oh, yeah about that. Kevin called and asked if we could meet up at his house to work on it."

My eyes widened at that.

To be honest I didn't know how I felt. My emotions were unexplainable. I was happy about the idea of seeing Kevin but at the same time, I wasn't sure if I should go.

"What did you say to him?" I asked Ahmad hoping he agreed to it.

"Yes, but is it okay with you?" He asked nervously and I nodded in response.

"Great. I will text you the address so we will meet at 5. Ma'alsalamah." He smiled as he walked away. Deep down, I was so excited and happy to see Kevin. I hadn't stopped thinking about him since yesterday. I hadn't realised I was smiling until Madina hit me with her bag and asked why.

"Do you like Ahmad?" She wiggled her eyebrows teasingly. "What? No! Why would you think that? We are just project partners. We aren't even good friends." I tried to defend myself.

"Habibti, I saw you smiling and just wanted to tease you. I'm just joking around." She replied, seeing I didn't find anything funny.

We walked out of the hall together before departing to our own, separate paths. I went straight off to my shift. After my work shift, I planned to go to Kevin's house. On my way out, I bumped into a white lady wearing a hijab. She was a middle-aged woman.

"I'm so sorry Ma'am." I apologised immediately and picked up her stuff which had fallen on the floor.

"It's alright." She grinned. A tall, black man, who appeared to be her husband, approached us. I handed her things over to her and left.

I took a taxi, which was expensive, to Kevin's house. The taxi driver dropped me at the front of a very big house. I had to confirm that this was indeed the correct one. I knew Kevin was rich, but I didn't expect him to be filthy rich.

I walked to the door of the house and rang the doorbell. Kevin answered the door and my heart skipped a beat when I saw him. His mood changed the instant he saw me.

"Come in." He frowned. He asked me to sit in the living room while he went upstairs. His house was so beautiful. I was astonished.

While admiring Kevin's living room, I got a text message from Ahmad, informing me he wasn't going to make it due to a few problems. A few minutes later, Kevin came downstairs and walked up to me. He acted as if nothing had happened yesterday.

"Uh, Ahmad won't be able to come so-" He then interrupts me.

"We can at least pick a topic for the project. I just want us to finish all this as soon as possible."

"I thought of a topic we could discuss on but..." I went silent. He looked straight into my eyes, expecting me to complete my sentence.

"But what?" He pressed curiously.

"I-I can't remember the topic." I lied immediately.

"This towel you've got on your head is making you dumb." He smirked.

"Excuse me?" I hissed as I stood up from the sofa. "If you are so smart, why don't you bring a topic to discuss?!" I challenged him.

He was speechless. "If you want us to work together peacefully, you have to be nicer to me. I don't know what I did to make you dislike me. I am sorry. I can't bear the fact that someone hates me to the extent that he wishes I was dead." I said, pouring out my emotions.

"Do you hate me that much?" I asked him hoping we could patch things up.

"Get out and close the door behind you." He spoke monotonously and walked towards the staircase.