CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Chapter 23:

KEVIN

The next morning, I went for a walk and I passed by a place where Muslim people worship/ prayed. Out of curiosity, I entered the place; It was so beautiful. I didn't know how they do things in place of worship. A tall guy, I couldn't tell if he was Hispanic or mixed race, noticed that I was acting a bit awkward.

"Salam Alaikum, brother. Are you new here?" I didn't want to tell him that I wasn't a Muslim, but I ended up telling him the truth.

"Yes, I'm new. I'm not a Muslim, and I was actually on my way out." I said, turning to leave.

"What's your name? He stalled.

"Kevin," I replied turning to face him.

"You seem interested to learn more about Islam, right? Is that why you came to the mosque?"

I remained silent. That was true, I wanted to distract myself from finding more about this religion by researching about this religion, but it seems I'm always drawn back to it.

"My name is Muhammad," he extended his hand to me. "I live around here." He was so kind and he wore a smile the whole time he was talking to me, and I felt a brotherly connection.

"Nice to meet you," I replied shaking his hand. "I have a lot of questions to ask. When are you free?"

"You came to the right place! I'd be happy to help you whenever."We exchanged numbers so we could meet up the next day at the mosque. I didn't go to work that morning, since I didn't have a lot of work to do. Instead, I met up with Muhammad at the Mosque. I guess he took a day off so he could meet up.

When I arrived, he was so happy to see me. We entered the Mosque and we were sat on the beautiful mat in Mosque. I cleared my throat and asked, "Why do you Muslims worship Muhammad?"

"We do not worship Muhammad (PBUH), we worship Allah (SWT), our creator and our one Lord. Prophet Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah."

I felt dumb for asking that, obviously they worship God. "How do you pray?" I asked.

"There are many forms of prayer. You can speak to God in your mind, by uttering praises to Him, or even by performing the daily routine, in Muslims perform 5 times a day." I asked him more questions about his religion, some were ridiculous, but I was curious and he answered them patiently and with a kind tone. After a while, he invited me over for lunch with his family. I declined at first, but he insisted.

We went over to his house and he introduced me to his dad. He looked a lot like his dad only that his dad was darker slightly dark-skinned. We sat in the living room and his dad asked me a few questions.

When I told him my name, he was shocked. Muhammad asked his dad if everything was alright.
"Fatima, Fatima," he called out, but there was no response. "Could you call your mom?" Muhammad stood up and went upstairs to call him mom.

I just sat there, confused. Did he know me from somewhere, why did his reaction change when I told him my full name? A few minutes later, Muhammad came downstairs, and there was a woman behind him; she looked rather familiar. That's when it struck me. That was my Mom.  Why is my mom here? What was she doing here? Is Muhammad a kidnapper or even... my stepbrother?

********

JUWAIRIYA

The next day, I got a message from Ammar, asking how my night was. I replied to his message and we ended up chattering all day; I started to open up to him.

The next morning at the office, Kevin was absent, his assistance said he wouldn't be coming to work. For the first time, I felt at ease while working in the office. After work, Ammar and I went out for another dinner date. This time around, I wasn't awkward or coy.

********

Thanks for reading! This story is coming to an end soon. Don't forget to vote and comment.

I love you all ❤️