CHAPTER TWELVE

Chapter 12:

KEVIN

"My son." He called out in a serious, yet weak tone. "There is something I have to tell you. I have been keeping this away from you. It's about your mom." As he was about to say another word, his head collapsed back into the pillow and his hand dropped to his side.

I called the nurses immediately, biting my nails in the process. I was asked to leave the room as soon as they dashed inside.

I was worried about my dad and at the same time curious to know what had happened to my mom. What was he about to tell me? All these questions kept running through my mind.

After a few hours, the nurse came out and told me my dad was okay and that he just needed to rest.

I called Juwariya to ask if we could meet up and to my surprise, she agreed. We agreed to meet in the park.

She tagged along with her friend which of course I didn't mind. Her friend's name was Kawlah. The three of us had a great time. They made me laugh and I felt much better, thanks to the distraction. Her friend received a phone call from home and they both had to leave afterwards.

I returned to the hospital and my dad looked weak and pale, though, still adamant about telling me about my mom.

"My son your Mom isn't dead. She's alive." He revealed once he managed to sit up slightly.

What??

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Throughout my childhood, I believed my mom was murdered. I was shocked by the news.

I just stood there motionless, staring straight at my father's ashamed gaze.

"I'm so sorry I lied to you." He whispered.

"Does mom know that I am alive?" I asked with a trembling voice.

"No. I told her that you died in a car accident."

"Why? Dad, why did you do this? Why did you destroy our happy family? Why couldn't she at least know the truth about her child?!"

"I was not the reason for the destruction of our family's bond. It's all your mom's fault. She decided to become a terrorist. She became a Muzlem and she tried to make me one as too but I refused to be brainwashed by her sly tricks and ways. We got divorced. I didn't tell her so she wouldn't take you away from me. I had no other option but to lie. Two months later, I heard that she got married to a black Mozlem man. She became one of those monsters and from the day she converted, your mother died. The real, non-Mozlem one."

I couldn't believe this. This was so much for me to process. I grew up thinking my mom was dead. Why did mom become a Muslim though? Why?!

I was speechless. I felt so suffocated that I ran out of the hospital and went straight to the bar. I had a few shots, then managed to get home. I was mad at my dad for keeping such a secret from me all these years.

When I arrived home, I was so drunk that I passed out on the sofa.

The next morning, I went to check on my dad at the hospital. I mean, I was mad at him, but I was the only family he had left. I couldn't just abandon him.

Yes, he did lie. Yes, I was hurt. But above all, he took care of me all these years while my mother was enjoying herself with another black guy.

********

JUWARIYA

Later that evening, I got a text from Kevin asking if we could meet up at the park. I was contemplating whether I should meet up with him or not.

Kawlah noticed that I got a message and suspected it to be from a guy. She snatched my phone from me unexpectedly and read the message out loud.

"Awww you're going on a date! You should hurry up girl!" She elbowed me in the guts.

"W-what?" I stuttered. "He's not my boyfriend and he's not inviting me to date. I bet he's just trying to get his mind off his dad. I sort of... visited him before too."

"Aw how boring." She handed me back my phone. "Then what are you waiting for?"

"What?"

"He's waiting for you!" She expressed as if talking to an idiot.

"I'll go, only if you accompany me."

"What? You don't need me."

"Uhm. I'm sure I do." I pointed to my sprained ankle.

She groaned but eventually obliged.

I laughed at her sulky facial expression.

I texted Kevin back, ensuring it was fine for Kawlah to come along. He replied instantly that he didn't mind.

I got to the park 5 minutes late than the agreed time. Kevin was seated at a nearby bench. He greeted us with a smile.

I never knew he could be nice. He had been through a lot and I know this will make him feel better. The three of us were talking and I got to see the kind, sensitive and funny side of Kevin. We were all caught up with our discussion that we didn't realise it was close to Maghreb.

Kawlah got a phone call from her aunt. She was worried and she asked why she hadn't returned home yet. We decided to leave it at that and bid Kevin goodbye.

********

Thank you so much for reading this chapter!

Please don't forget to vote and comment on what you think of this chapter.

Stay unique!!