CHAPTER 5

After school, I headed to the locker room with Rae and changed into my swimsuit and grabbed my towel and bathrobe (both had been provided to me by the swim team from the school). We then went to the pool where the practice was taking place. We were practicing for our first swim meet for the school year. I joined the swim team last week and let's just say someone wasn't happy about me trying out and was even unhappier when coach let me on the team. Three guesses, who? Yep, little 'Miss Popular', Brittany Daniels. Anyway, to help us practice for the actual meet, coach organized a mock swim meet for us so basically almost the whole school came for the meet. 

As I waited for it to be Rae's and my turn to enter the water, I noticed that Brittany was shooting glares at both of us for no apparent reason, Rae had also noticed. We both shrugged and took off our bathrobes since it was almost time for to get into the water and went to stand at the edge of the pool in our places waiting. I put on my goggles and I got into position, then when the shot was fired, I dove into the water and swam. I blocked out everything around me as I swam enjoying the feel of the water against my skin but made sure to maintain focus. I finished my lap before everyone else including Rae. When I resurfaced, everyone was cheering and applauding, for whom I didn't know nor care. I got out of the pool then went to dry off, and was joined by Rae a few seconds later.

"The meet has come to an end and from what I've seen, I know that our girls are ready to beat whoever we're up against this year. (Everyone cheered once again before the coach asked for silence once again.) When the school year started, I was yet to pick our team captain because I was conflicted between three of our best swimmers, Brittany, Raelynn and Kiara. But after what I've seen today, I've finally decided. This year we're gonna have two team captains, co-captains. So, congratulations to our new team captains, Miss Raelynn Simmons and Miss Kiara Williams." Coach announced. Rae and I looked at each other in shock then at coach who smiled at us while the crowd cheered loudly for both of us. Raelynn and I hugged each other before we were smothered with hugs from our friends who had come down from where they were seated in the bleachers. The other swimmers, minus, Brittany, came over to hug and congratulate us.

After changing back into my previous clothes and grabbing my shoulder bag, I went to find coach. I found her by the pool, talking with an angry Brittany. Brittany then stormed off, indicating that she didn't get what she wanted. Coach then turned and saw me.

"Ah, Kiara. Is there something I can help you with?"

"Yeah, I was wondering why you chose me to be co-captains with Raelynn. I mean I only joined last week and there are others who swim just as well as I do and have been here longer than I have." She smiled.

"Well, those very others whom you just mentioned, minus Brittany, were the very ones who voted you and Raelynn as captains when I asked. You asked why I personally chose you. Well, it's because I found in you certain qualities that I haven't seen in most swimmers in a long time. I noticed that when you swim while you're enjoying it, you still stay on task. Most swimmers just think about winning and never take the time to enjoy themselves and that is why they sometimes lose. They are always too tensed up that they can't relax enough to flow with the water, to swim with the grace required but you and Raelynn do. And that is precisely why I chose you both so that you can help your teammates to do same. I have all the faith that with you two will help us win the many competitions that are ahead of us this school year. If that is all, you would have to excuse me, I have to go see the principal." I nodded then left to the parking lot where I found all my friends and sisters waiting by my car.