Chapter 7: Confusion of a rope with one thousand knots

Silken peonies embroidered on a carpet of shallow red, lifelike dragons avariciously curled around looming pillars of gold and precious stones - a mere fraction the luxuriousness of Datong Dynasty's Forbidden City (Chinese palace). Although just a side hall, it was enough to accommodate a large crowd of commoners and their lords alike, all of whom could not help but gape, awestruck,at the grandeur of it all.

Lu Cang, however had neither the mood nor desire to admire this rare sight (of the emperor's house) like the rest of the plebeians. He knelt, head lowered, among the hundred champions of the Hero's Assembly, all the while having an internal debate over whether to return to Hangzhou by land or by water.

A well dressed chamberlain had ordered the crowd into the hall before giving a lengthy speech which only served to trouble Lu Cang more and more as it dragged on and on. Because of Jing's excessive demands on his body the previous night, as well as hthe awkward kneeling position, his whole body ached and he knew his knees were definitely not enough to support him. Lu Cang sneakily lowered his hips to rest on his ankle, finally relieving himself of some discomfort.

The chamberlain stood behind a thin floor length curtain and behind him sat Datong's well known yet mysterious Emperor Jing Zong. The curtain was just thick enough for the crowds to see a vague silhouette of their ruler.

Maybe he's so secretive about his appearances because he's uglier than a ghost? Lu Cang thought.

Being a mountain bandit, he never held emperors in high regard but looking at the repose of this Emperor Jing Zong somehow made Lu Cang's disgust for him triple.

"--Qin Ci!" (I have no idea how to translate this, it basically means the guy's done with his royal speech)

The chamberlain finally finished his unnecessarily flowery speech, half of which the not-very-highly-educated comonners and martial artists couldn't understand anyway.

"Xie zhu long en--" (something like "thank you, your grace") the crown chanted. Lu Cang had no choice but to follow the masses and likewise bow lower.

--Thank you my ass. Lu Cang silently mouthed vulgarities as his head was lowered but reverted to a submissive look as he straightened his back.

Wu(sigh), it's finally over. Lu Cang took a deep breath: this should be the last item for the ceremony and then he could finally return to his old mountain bandit Lu Cang self. The thought gave him a sudden urge to laugh out loud.

The chamberlain stepped back but frustratingly, an official in ludicrously purple robes replaced him. Lu Cang looked around but found that everyone else was grinning as if they were about to become rich.

-- There was prize money?!?

The Lu Cang who hadn't paid an ounce attention before was suddenly filled with enthusiasm and straightened his almost broken back with much effort.

"In first place --Lu Xuanting of Changzhou."

A big bearded man stumbled out from the first row and knelt in front of the crowd as if he was afraid of something.

"Lu Xuanting of Changzhou, a reward of ten thousand liang, qin ci."

"Thank you you honour, thank you...." The crowd looked on with eyes of admiration while Lu Xuanting was moved to the point of not knowing what to do except for repeatedly professing his gratitude. Since times were peaceful, swordsmen had a very low standing in the social hierarchy. Now that he had received such a large amount of money, he was touched to the point of crying tears of joy.

"--bring the wine." Pretty ladies brought forth wine, and Lu Xuanting gulped it down, a proud smile slowly appearing on his face.

"Second place, Haowei from Shandong."