Revealing Lies

You open your eyes. You were lying on the ground. Pushing yourself up in a sitting position, you looked around.

There was nothing. It was an empty void. Where were you? You got up, picked a direction, and started walking. The only sounds you heard were your own footsteps. It echoed loudly as you walked, reverberating so much it felt like it was pounding in your head. You put a hand to your head and close your eyes.

When you open them again, you find that the void has transformed into what appears to be a prison. You stare at the bars in front of you, reaching out to touch them.

"Aooah?" The sound of the voice draws your attention, and you turn your head to see a very young deer staring at you. Or...rather past you?

"Hey there, what's your name?" Your eyes widen as you hear the sound of your own voice coming from somewhere else. Putting the pieces together, you realize that this was a memory. You watch as you introduce yourself to what you can only assume is Louis, watching how he stumbles into your arms and cries after being adopted by Oguma.

"So this is what he meant by a bad childhood..." You mutter. The scene shifts again, speeding up like someone hit fast forward on a tape player. When it stops, you come across something that makes leaves you reeling.

"I don't need someone to baby me and question everything I do!" Louis, a little older now, had slapped you, hard. Your past self schooled her expression, whispering something you couldn't hear. All of a sudden, the scenery cracked, like a mirror, and Louis disappeared. Your legs were moving before you knew it, and you had caught up to where your other self was. She was slowly disintegrating before your eyes, and while you were right up against her, something held you back from physically touching her.

"Guess I really am just in your head..." She said, before closing her eyes. You stared at the empty spot where you were laying just a few seconds ago, then stood up quietly.

"...So that's how I died." You said. Now you knew. In a bout of anger, Louis had killed you. The same person that had apparently been with him since the beginning. A mixture of emotions washed through you as you processed this information.

"Ah, here you are. I was starting to wonder if you'd gotten lost." The sudden voice startles you, and you turn around to find Legosi. As you start to walk towards him, you slow when you notice something...off. "What's wrong [Name]?" He tilts his head.

"...You're not Legosi." You said warily. He blinks, but laughs.

"Leave it to [Name] to see right through me." You take a step back, glaring at him.

"Who are you?"

"You don't remember?" You shake your head. "Hm. I suppose this is a side effect of what I did then."

"What?" He smirks, suddenly moving faster than you expected. You feel his arms wrap around your torso, and he rests his head in the crook of your neck.

"Let me put it this way. What you saw earlier was how you died as Louis' guardian. You died differently with your precious wolf." He growls. You elbow him, darting away from his grasp. He only chuckles, rubbing the spot where you struck him. "Playing hard to get, are you? Well, I'll leave you with this. While you were part of their lives, you can only choose one in the end. I trust you'll make the right choice." With that, he dispersed into the darkness of the void. You glanced around warily, before you blacked out.

-~-~-~-~-

"Boss, you're gonna dig a hole in the carpet at this rate." Louis glared at Agata, which softened as he looked towards the couch where [Name] lay. After she had passed out he quickly took her back to the hideout, where he continued to keep watch over her.