Chapter 6 ||Five Strangers||

They rode so far, trying mostly to avoid passing through the woods. But Cerlesta wished straight the opposite of what the others wished. She stole side glances at the woods. Her feelings were overwhelming at the thought of meeting Narnians by any chance.

After hours of ridding, they finally neared the ford of Beruna.
“Beruna!” a man who rode ahead shouted.

Cerlesta straightened herself and looked ahead.

“Cerlesta,” she heard her name being called by her uncle.

“Yes, uncle?” she responded.

“Are you coming with me to see the bridge? We’re nearing there.” He asked.

“Of course I’m coming! But maybe after I enjoy the place and rest, I’m a bit tired.” She replied.

She didn’t like the idea of going to that messy place where the bridge is building. She was a nature lover, she have always loved wondering in a quite nature without being disturbed by anyone.

“Oh, okay, as you wish. But don’t go any further from the camp and don’t go near woody parts, is that clear?” Asked Miraz.

“Yes Uncle.” Said Cerlesta.

As they neared the work site, sounds of so many things including the shouting of men were heard. Cerlesta stopped by a big tree and tied her horse to it. She also refused the guard to stay with her. She took two apples from the saddle and ate one by herself and gave the other to her horse. She took a walk around.

Suddenly a sound of someone passing nearby, with crack-crack sound of dry leaves and sticks caught her attention.

She stood behind a tree and peeked, then she thought that might be any of the workmen or guards.

She walked a bit further and reached face to face with five strangers

She walked a bit further and reached face to face with five strangers. A sudden shiver of fear ran down her spine and her hand quickly reached and gripped the dagger’s hilt. Then her eyes caught the smallest of them, the one who looked aged with wrinkles, red long hair and long beard. He reached for his bow and arrow, which was hung on his back.

Cerlesta’s eyes widened in surprise, “A-A-Are y-you a Narnian dwarf?” she asked in utter shock.

That guy, who indeed was a dwarf, narrowed his eyes at her and muttered something to his companions. There were two boys and two girls with the dwarf. When the eldest of the boys was about to say something, Cerlesta began, hoping to ease their nervousness at her question.

“I-I mean no harm to you, I-I know my uncle won’t be...pleased if-if he finds out you. But y-you can trust me, I won’t tell anyone!” Cerlesta stammered at words.

“Who are you?” asked one of the boys, who had dark hair and was so cute in Cerlesta’s opinion, though he really was.

“I’m Princess Cerlesta.” She said with a small curtsey.