(TWENTY-TWO)

"Songhee, she hates me," Sooyoung wept, "She was in pain and she needed me and I pushed her away, and now she hates me. I was such a bad friend to her."

Songhee held Sooyoung closer and patted her on the head. "You seem to care about this 'Jiwoo' girl a lot," she observed, "This is the first time I've ever seen you cry over someone like this. What makes her so special?"

Sooyoung sniffled. "She's really guarded, but when it's just us she's so sweet. She cares about her family, and she's a great listener. She's funny, too. I can't help but smile whenever she's around. I wish she was nicer to herself, because she has so many amazing qualities, but that just means I get to keep reminding her until she knows it's true." By now her tears had been replaced by a gentle smile.

"You don't think she's cute or anything?"

"She's super cute," Sooyoung said, "I just don't think her being cute has anything to do with why I care about her. I care about Jiwoo because she's Jiwoo. I value her for who she is."

The older girl tried to hold back a laugh by disguising it as a cough. "But what about all that stuff she said to you?"

Sooyoung shrugged. "I think she was going through something difficult and she had trouble processing it. I don't think she hates me, I think she just hates whatever the situation was."

"You're too nice," Songhee sneered, "She's gonna walk all over you."

Sooyoung stood up and began gathering her things. "I don't like the way you talk about her," she stated, "I appreciate that you want to protect me, but as my friend you should want me to be happy. And Jiwoo makes me happy."

"You were just crying over her."

"I need to find her. She didn't hurt me, I was crying because I want her to be safe." She slung her bag over her shoulder and opened the door to leave Songhee's room. In the corner, she noticed a mound of pink fabric on the floor. "I'm not mad at you, Songhee." Sooyoung tripped over the rug, knocking a box of pens and pencils to the ground. "I'm so sorry," she said.

"No, it's fine," Songhee replied, "You've just got a lot on your mind." She knelt down to help pick up the pens, and while she was distracted Sooyoung crammed the pink fabric into her bag.

Sooyoung smiled at her friend before leaving. On her way out, she called, "Wish me luck, Songhee! I'm gonna find Jiwoo."

"She's not worth it!" Songhee shouted in return.

"You don't know her like I do," Sooyoung countered.

Songhee rolled her eyes once she thought Sooyoung was gone. "She's the one who doesn't know shit about Jiwoo. If she knew the real Jiwoo she would run away. God, Sooyoung is so stupid – she doesn't know what she's getting herself into."

But Sooyoung heard all of it. She had waited on the stairs since she'd been suspicious of her friend lately. Songhee was acting weirder, more secretive. But Sooyoung was going to figure out the truth. With Songhee and with Jiwoo.

-

a/n: last chapter for tonight
it's only 1am but i have online school in the morning
good news tho!!
i wrote and published 9 chapters tonight, and i'll be back tomorrow with more. see you then :)