(TWENTY-NINE)

Jiwoo was pulling one shoe on as she hobbled out the door toward Sooyoung's car with a toaster waffle in her mouth. As much as Sooyoung would've loved to help, she was far too busy laughing. Jiwoo glared at Sooyoung as she slid into the passenger seat, but no matter how hard she tried to be intimidating, Sooyoung only found her adorable.

Suddenly, Sooyoung noticed how Jiwoo had styled herself today. She was wearing pale blue overalls with a pink sweater underneath. She'd also put her hair up into a cute pair of pigtails, and it was probably the most precious thing Sooyoung had ever seen.

"Holy shit," she breathed, "You look so cute." Jiwoo laughed so hard she could barely breathe. "What's so funny?" Sooyoung asked.

"This– this is the second time I've ever heard you swear. Miss Ha Sooyoung, this is so unlike you!" She feigned shock as she dramatically placed a hand over her heart.

Sooyoung poked Jiwoo's cheek. "Hey, if me swearing will make you remember it, then let me be the first to tell you how fucking adorable you are. Seriously, I wanna put you in my pocket."

Jiwoo smiled shyly and looked down. "Thank you, Sooyoung," she whispered, "And I'll be the first – but definitely not the last – to tell you that you look really beautiful today." Sooyoung gently patted her head and took off the parking brake, beginning their journey into the unknown.

Most of the car ride went well. They were singing, laughing, talking – but when they turned the corner onto the street where Jiwoo's school sat, the girl suddenly became silent.

Sooyoung pulled into the parking lot and could hear other students shouting at Jiwoo even through her closed windows. She'd parked close to the school because she had planned on walking Jiwoo inside, but it just put them closer to the crowd of students. As they stepped out of the car, Jiwoo instinctively grabbed Sooyoung's hand and walked with her head down.

A boy grabbed Jiwoo's shoulder, stopping both her and Sooyoung. "Jiwoo," he snapped, "11:15. Janitor's closet."

"No." Jiwoo's voice was meek, almost inaudible, but she had finally done it. She'd told someone no to their face.

"You ignored my calls and texts all summer," he growled as he gripped onto her wrist, "You owe me this, babygirl." By now, a crowd had gathered to listen. Some of them shouted along, hurling both insults and requests at Jiwoo. People shouted times and places, as well as rather vulgar requests.

Sooyoung grabbed the boy's hand, digging her nails into the back of it. "She doesn't owe you shit," Sooyoung snarled, "So all of you had better leave her alone." In one swift movement, she had dropped Jiwoo's hand and landed a hard uppercut to the boy's jaw. Her ring cut his face and he stumbled back, both from pain and shock.

Jiwoo tugged on her sleeve. "It's okay, I'm used to it," she said, "You don't need to—"

"If any of you lays a hand on her, you'll get far worse than a single punch." Sooyoung returned her hand to hold Jiwoo's. "If I find out anyone tried anything," she paused. "You'll never speak again, got it?"

Students murmured, some backing away, others pulling in closer. Jiwoo hid behind Sooyoung's back and pressed her face into the older girl's shoulder, inhaling the familiar and calming scent of her jacket.

One girl laughed and said, "Jiwoo got herself a little girlfriend." She grabbed Sooyoung's face roughly and forced her to look the stranger in the eyes. "You know she's not worth it, right? Why buy damaged goods?"

"So tell us, girlfriend," another boy called out, "What do you see in our little Jiwoo here?"

Sooyoung had to hold back from knocking the guy's teeth out. "She's not your little Jiwoo," she snarled, "And she never will be."

The boy stepped closer and shrugged. "Whatever helps you sleep at night," he taunted, "But just for the record, she already has been."

"Shut the fuck up." Jiwoo stepped out from behind Sooyoung.

A familiar voice cut through the chatter. "Oh, Jiwoo, that's cute." Songhee set her backpack down on the ground as she continued, "You think anyone here is scared of you? Little Jiwoo, everybody's favourite toy? You think you can leave for a summer and suddenly expect us to believe you have a backbone? Really, I almost pity you. It must be hard being that naive."

This time it was Sooyoung's turn to speak up. "Songhee, I will beat the shit out of you."

"Oh, that's even cuter," she mocked, "What are you, her girlfriend or something? Please, be realistic. You're just like us, you want someone to play with. Come on, Sooyoung, you think you're her knight in shining armour?" She took another step forward and threw her hands out at her sides. "If you're Jiwoo's perfect girlfriend, then prove it. Show everybody here that you actually give a shit about her."

Sooyoung hesitated. What was she supposed to do? If she tried to justify the 'girlfriend' story, she'd hurt Jiwoo. If she didn't, then Jiwoo would believe that Sooyoung was using her. Either way, she would lose.

But she didn't have to make the decision; Jiwoo did it for her.

The crowd fell silent as Jiwoo spun around to face Sooyoung. She stood on her toes, grabbed Sooyoung's face with both hands, and kissed her in front of everyone.

Sooyoung stood dumbfounded. Jiwoo faced the crowd and shouted, "Is that enough for you sick fuckers? Stay out of my life. Leave me and my girlfriend alone." She grabbed Sooyoung's hand and marched back to the car. The older girl still couldn't say a word. Her brain had completely malfunctioned. Jiwoo had kissed her. Jiwoo wasn't scared. She trusted Sooyoung. And she kissed her.